Remote Torrent Box

63b hacker

im trying to set up a torrent box on a dell running vista home sp2, i have a dyndns setup as well as utorrents web gui, where im running into problems is with tightvnc and the port forwarding on my actiontec router. im running windows 7 home with ie9 beta. i would like to have the computer be a remote torrent box to access it form the win 7 computer, any help would be awsome!

im trying to set up a torrent box on a dell running vista home sp2, i have a dyndns setup as well as utorrents web gui, where im running into problems is with tightvnc and the port forwarding on my actiontec router. im running windows 7 home with ie9 beta. i would like to have the computer be a remote torrent box to access it form the win 7 computer, any help would be awsome!

Ok so first off, are these computers on the same network? if so and you don't need access from the outside world then you can skip the whole router config, except some ports to help your torrent connection. Your torrent server if you have a web interface on your client can be accessed on your internal network by either the http://computername:port or http://ip:port

as far as accessing it, the easiest way would be to add a share of your download folder.

Maybe if you can lay some more details on us that would help.

Also instead of opening ports on the router and making yourself susceptible to port scans run hamachi or teamviewer to get a vpn connection to the torrent box.

sorry about the two posts i didnt know i did that. but my goal here is to be able to access the torrent box from any internet connection like a wifi hotspot or from a friends house so thats why i did the dyndns. but every time i try to connect to the dns the tight vnc says cannot connect to the server i set up all the port forwarding and the dyndns updater on the torrent box but im still getting the error, then i type in the ip and it connects just fine, i opened all the ports that dyndns said it needed witch was 5800 - 5900 but still no luck and i set up the firewall permisions in windows, so im out of ideas as to what is wrong.

What happens when you try to remote into your Win7 machine? Do you get any errors? Does it stop responding?

Since you have enabled port forwarding on your router, make sure you have allowed the application to go through your machines firewall, or otherwise it won't work.

If you want to do remote torrent managing you do not need VNC. You can use the WebGUI. Unless you need/want remote desktop you do not need to have it to manage your torrents.

You have a problem with the way you setup your DynDNS record is what is sounds like. Double check your IP address and make sure it is an "A" record in DynDNS to the correct IP Address. If you made the rule outside of your network it will put in whatever IP you had at the time.

if you are able to access vnc by typing in the external IP but not the DNS then your router is correctly configured as would be our windows firewall. It sounds like the issue there is with the DynDNS settings... what happens when you ping your dyndns address?

Or it could be that his ADSL modem IP address hasn't synced with his dyndns account.