Bt4 Driver Install Need Help

okiwan

so im dual booting bt4 on my eee pc an i need help installing a driver for my usb alfa antenna. model awus051nh.

got it working on the win7 side just fine. had it working in unbuntu on my macbook pro just fine. bt4 im a little lost.

:(

thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have recently bought an Alfa 802.11a/b/g/n AWUS051NH wireless adapter and followed all the steps in the installation guide for installing the driver on Ubuntu (since the underlying OS of backtrack is Ubuntu). Now when i type iwconfig and the result was:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

ra0 Ralink STA

It means there is some driver problem, correct?

I also tried armon-ng and the output was blank.

I followed the steps mentioned in "AWUS051NH_Linux_QIG.pdf" that is shipped with the adapter and since backtrack kernel version is "2.6.30.9" i used the driver "RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0.tar.tar.bz2".

Please help me in troubleshooting this issue and get the adapter working.

Note i tried: "apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-ralink" as well.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sanjeev

Hi All,

I have recently bought an Alfa 802.11a/b/g/n AWUS051NH wireless adapter and followed all the steps in the installation guide for installing the driver on Ubuntu (since the underlying OS of backtrack is Ubuntu). Now when i type iwconfig and the result was:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

ra0 Ralink STA

It means there is some driver problem, correct?

I also tried armon-ng and the output was blank.

I followed the steps mentioned in "AWUS051NH_Linux_QIG.pdf" that is shipped with the adapter and since backtrack kernel version is "2.6.30.9" i used the driver "RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0.tar.tar.bz2".

Please help me in troubleshooting this issue and get the adapter working.

Note i tried: "apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-ralink" as well.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sanjeev

back|track is not uBuntu, uBuntu is not back|track!!! They have completely different kernels and drivers. They are both debian based, and back|track was originally created from uBuntu, but it is its OWN distro, with its own repository and code base that will not work 100% compatible with uBuntu drivers.

ra0 Ralink STA looks like the ralink wireless adapter, but standard drivers, or probably ndiswrapped. This more than likely will not be able to do monitor mode. Check the back|track site for more help, their forums have questions on these cards all the time, so a quick search might find the correct drivers for you. Just make sure to uninstall the existing one first that came with the adapter.

Also, the card might actually be working, just need to bring it up manually and start networking, if thats the case. Don't use the gui wifi tools to configure the card. Also, try setting certain things before bringing it up, for example, do

"iwconfig ra0 mode monitor" before "ifconfig ra0 up promisc" and see if that starts the adapter in monitor mode, which should then work with airmon, airreplay and airodump stuff.

And if you do post on the bt forums(or here) paste your dmsg info after plugging in the adapter, and see what kind of output it generates. Might be a driver conflict, and you might have to rmmod one handle, and modprobe for another to load the correct drivers. Some cards firmware can have multiple drivers, but the system might assign the wrong one you need if multiple are installed for the same card.

Edited by digip

BackTrack was originally based off of slackware/knoppix linux. They went to a debian/ubuntu based in 4.

Yes, I was merely referring to the latest. Personally I liked the older Slax versions of backtrack(2 and 3), as drivers and programs worked by default for me under the slax derivatives, where the new debian based ones require me to add my own drivers to get my wireless card working properly. Still, the newer version is nice for its ability to update properly and having their own repository now of stable releases is nice. It also seems faster and more compatible with my graphics than the older one, allowing me to set my resolution beyond 1024x768 and with full hardware use. Knowing that if I decide to use BT4 as my main OS, it will now have security patches and program updates down the road by design which required more work in the slax versions to get fixed.