The Ultimate Fonera Hack?

Emeryth

Just want to show off my project.

Looking at all the fonera battery packs and automated hacking software I wondered why hasn't anybody thought of transforming the fonera into a truly autonomous pentesting device.

I've wanted do it it for a very long time and never had the motivation, but recently I had to come up with a team project for school and this seemed perfect.

So with a team of 5 people and 6 months of work we came up with this:

post-10286-1281363725_thumb.jpg

A hand-held wifi pentesting device, codename "Wifon".

post-10286-1281364060_thumb.jpg

It's a fonera with a cheap 64 charcter LCD and 6 buttons, powered with two li-ion cells in a modified box of chocolates :P.

I was the leader of the project and I did all the hardware.

The LCD and buttons are controlled by an ATMEGA88 microcontroller, which communicates with the fonera via UART.

A switching 3.3V voltage regulator powers the fonera, and a linear 5V regulator powers the LCD and microcontroller.

Two 900mAh cells allow for 90 minutes of operation.

My friend - Kacper, wrote software for communicating with the display, posing as a normal terminal, so that any existing app can run on the screen without modification (although they do require modification to be useful).

The rest of the team - Adam, Marek and Michał, adapted software such as aircrack to work nicely with the screen and buttons.

The software on the fonera was written mostly in Ruby, because that was the only reasonable scripting language small enough to fit on the device.

Here's how it looks in action:

post-10286-1281365194_thumb.jpg

As you can imagine (and see by the case :P) , some things were rushed to meet the deadline, but we're satisfied with the outcome.

The total cost (not counting the fonera) was about $20 and ZERO hardware modifications of the fonera itself (the second antenna is optional), just plug and play.

All in all, this is more of a proof of concept than a usable device, but it works!

Here's a sneak peek at Wifon 2.0, this time I'm working alone but with much better hardware, namely a 320x240 color touchscreen :)

newlh.th.jpg

If anyone is interested I can provide schematics, code, and answer any questions about the project.

so what exactly does it do? Is it doing something like jasegar, but then logging their wpa keys when they try to login? What does the final product do after all your modding and such?

It just does whatever the fonera can do, if you manage to adapt the software to the display and controls.

We've got airodump-ng working - displaying a list of APs (as seen on the picture), simple attacks using mdk3, deauthentication, connecting to an unsecured network and scanning hosts using nmap.

Maybe it's not very impressive right now, you can do those things using a laptop which isn't much bigger, but the hardware has much more potential, that's why I'm working on a better version.

Very cool I would love to hear more about the hardware involved.

What hardware are you using the run the LCD and Controls?

(ETA: Just noticed you had to code the software to work with the LCD. I really look forward to a writeup.)

Edited by Trax

A writeup? Anything specific you want me to write about?

For now, you can have the schematics:

schematics.th.png

As you can see the only really complicated part is the power supply, the LCD and buttons are just connected directly to the microcontroller.

A writeup? Anything specific you want me to write about?

For now, you can have the schematics:

schematics.th.png

As you can see the only really complicated part is the power supply, the LCD and buttons are just connected directly to the microcontroller.

Very cool are you using an Arduino Mega? *just trying to decipher some of the schematic*

I guess the only part thats left *to the best of my n00b knowledge* is the code for the microcontroler or any modification you had to make to the kernel in order to get the whole system to work.

It was projects like yours that got me started with watching programs on revision 3 in the first place, system was one of my favorite shows and then i found Hak5

• 2 weeks later...