Cable Modem Install Into Pc Router Case

DaBeach

In my boredom I was looking over my network setup and came up with an idea. I recently built a ATX PC Router and would like to crack open my Motorola Surfboard cable modem and install it into the router. It seems that the modem requires 12v which could be taken off the PC power supply and I may be able to install it into a front drive bay so that the modem lights would be up front. I would also have to jump the RJ45 and feed in the COAX.

Does anyone have any warnings, opinions or other information I may not be aware of for this project?

You might not actually own it. Quite a few ISPs "rent/loan" out the modems they install. If you didn't buy it from a store/internet/whatever, I'd call your ISP up and ask them if it's actually yours. Tell them you're thinking about upgrading or that you're thinking about moving and want to know if you can sell it/take it with you. Telling them you plan on voiding the warranty might raise some red flags.

You might not actually own it. Quite a few ISPs "rent/loan" out the modems they install. If you didn't buy it from a store/internet/whatever, I'd call your ISP up and ask them if it's actually yours. Tell them you're thinking about upgrading or that you're thinking about moving and want to know if you can sell it/take it with you. Telling them you plan on voiding the warranty might raise some red flags.

Ok, I past that test, I own the modem.

I popped the modem case and see that the board is smaller that a front drive bay. The LED's are facing sideways on the board but the lights were redirected with a plastic optic which brings them forward and this will allow me to drill a few holes in a front plate on the PC for the lights. Now to mount the COAX and RJ45's I may be able to use some Keystone jacks for this.