Job Interview

sem1845

I already work in a helpdesk position, and I don't mean to offend you or discourage you but I find it a very terrible position to work with. The calls annoys the fucker out of me. I am currently looking for another job.

I mean I better job where, I don't have to answer and deal with problems 24/7. But if you like you like the job I wish you all the best.

Edited by Infiltrator

Any truer words ever spoken by anyone who's worked at 1st or 2nd level support?

As an FYI incase anyone was under a rock The Chronicles of George always raises a smile.

I've been at this job for 2 years now and I just lost interest in it. I want to do something different in IT, as long as it is not help desk.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think not trying to be a know it all and show an eagerness to learn will be the best advice. Checking out the chronicles of George now(never heard of it before, yes I live under a rock)

Thanks for all the info guys. I think not trying to be a know it all and show an eagerness to learn will be the best advice. Checking out the chronicles of George now(never heard of it before, yes I live under a rock)

I don't see myself living under the rock. I do enjoy and really like to learn new stuff, it makes you very powerful and knowledgeable person.

Edit: Helpdesk is just something that I am not willing to do. Its not as exciting as a field services job, or someone who goes on site to fix problems.

Edited by Infiltrator

As someone who has interviewed people for helpdesk positions, you need to emphasise your ability to deal with people, especially people who are not happy (most people with IT problems are not happy), your ability to deal with client issues (so XP, Vista, 7 etc), a solid foundation in basic networking, a working understanding of Active Directory from a client POV, and the ability to think on your feet. Being presentably dressed and friendly will help you a lot, being a gruff linuxy type person will not. This covers the core of what you need.

Good extras to have is a strong desire to learn (so ask lots of questions about the way things are done, what type of SLA's your expected to adhere to, processes used (ITIL is a good name to drop), and how a typical call is managed). You need to present them with the image of someone who might not know everything yet, but will be able to quickly pick up there way of working and adapt to them. You want them to understand that your the type of person who will be able to quickly drop into a helpdesk position, but someone who aims to learn about the backend server stuff. Ask if you will be able to work on any projects with more senior staff in between your main job functions. Ask if you can have a tour of the office and server rooms if possible, and to see how the job is done there.

What you don't want from a helpdesk person is someone who desperately wants to work on big projects, servers and management stuff. They will be shit at helpdesk. You don't want someone who is a know-it-all and will want to do everything there own way. You don't want someone who will spend an entire day fixing a laptop if you can sort it out in an hour with a backup, image and restore. You don't want a bedroom hacker, you want a upstanding corporate citizen who knows computers.

If you smoke, don't smoke before the interview, save it for the victory walk. And get a non-related/non-romantically involved women to check your suit out before you go.