Ntfs Issue

gcninja

So a few days ago, I was using Gparted to resize some stuff, I had my 142GB windows xp partition and a free 157GB free partition i wanted to add to it, I formatted it and it started to resized, it said it would take two hours. well I had some other stuff to do so i clicked cancel and the cancel anyway to stop the process and then exited and restarted. But then my windows wouldnt boot. It sat at a black screen. I sat there like WTF. I restarted the computer twice and the same thing. I popped Gparted in again and the windows partition is still there but w an exclamation point now. It says that I need to run chkdsk /f as theres an I/O error. I tried putting in my SP2 disc but right after it says "Windows is scanning for hardware configuration" it just goes black and sits there doing nothing. I know the disc works because I tried it on another computer right after this one to test it . And that is the disc I used to install windows on this computer. It also does the same for a SP1a disc BUT it boots for a windows 7 recovery disc (that one I just had lying around for another computer job, it wouldnt work as is made for an hp).

So I think ok, I have to reinstall, I HAVE to get my files offf though as some are irreplaceable. I boot an ubuntu live cd and try to access my files and i get a cannot mount error w the same thing run chkdsk /f. So basically I cant access my files no way.. It wont boot XP disc for recovery and ubuntu cant do it..

IS there a way to access my files? Can anuybody tell me why its not booting my discs? Would an external carriage do the trick? I just need to save these files

thanks

i boot the live disc and it works perfect but if youre talking specifics, IDK, i booted it and walked away. I was thinking of installing ubuntu to the other partition to see if anything can be done. I was told that I COULD do a fsck /f /hda/sda1 (or w/e it is) BUT that could fuck it up more

Edited by gcninja

Why did you try to perform an operation as dangerous as partition resizing on data that is not backed up? It's inexcusable quite frankly. Canceling a partition resize operation on data that is not backed up is way over the boarder of asking to loose your data and on the verge of begging to have your data confiscated.

The following options are available:

Connect the drive to a computer that has a working copy of Windows.

Acquire a W7 install disk and use the recovery console.

Mount said disk on a 2nd windows machine and repair the partition, if possible. GParted is dodgy enough when it comes to NTFS, let alone trying to cancel a partition resizing midway through. Don't try and fix it with a linux disk check tool, that's just asking for more trouble.

Best bet would be to hook it up to another Windows box and go from there.

I had a similar problem with an internal drive (assloads of unreadable sectors, but some files were accessible) and I was able to get some of the data off of it by hooking it up to my Win7 machine as opposed to the machine it was on originally. XP wouldn't detect it at all.

alright ill try that at home.. the thing im going to try first is see if i can pop it in a carriage and pull all the files off i can. I mainly want only two folders of convention videos and pics. if i can get those ill just wipe it and reinstall