Win7 - Wired And Wireless Networks - Route Some Stuff Over Wifi, Rest Over Wired?

davil

Howdy all,

as usual I failed with my google searching on this and I've come to the experts to ask for help.

They've blocked facebook as well as my own domain here where I work and I may have a solution:

We have a wired network setup here on Active Directory etc - 10.175.x.x 255.255.0.0

and I just hooked up a Wireless AP which is on a DSL setup - 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0

and I can connect to the AP over wifi with my iPod touch and know it's working but I also would like to be able to route some stuff from my Win7 PC here over wifi (I have a USB 802.11g adapter) and I'm not sure how to do it.

We use a proxy on our AD network and most of the time I want to use that, in google chrome for example where I do most of my work, the proxy settings are pulled in from IE. So I thought if I use firefox, turn off proxy in there, and change the 'binding order' of my network adapters and put the wireless one first, I could use firefox for the DSL stuff and stick to google chrome for Lan stuff.

However, this didn't work and my non-network head makes me guess it's something to do with subnet / gateways - I know that the two networks are on different subnet classes for example but I don't know if that's causing a problem.

also I'm not sure if setting the wireless network as Home or Work or Public will make a difference ??

I had considered setting up a smoothwall / squid proxy as I have done this before, but it's far easier to hide a Wireless AP than a whole PC at the back of our network cabinet.

So if anybody can tell me how to route certain data over wifi without using a proxy I'd be really grateful.

P.S. it was working there for a second, at least, I can ping the 192.168.1.254 DSL router but it's not routing my net traffic properly. it's something simple (DNS or something) I can almost taste it....

Firstly:

Places of work block sites for good reasons (usually). So, you really should consider if doing this is the right thing, and how much of a problem it will cause you if it is discovered that you are actively bypassing the efforts of the IT people.

However, basically what you need to do is add some new routs to your computers routing table. You'll need to add entries for the facebook servers so that traffic that wants to go to to a facebook server uses the wireless router.

Open command prompt with administrator privileges and run

route ADD <facebook server IP> MASK <the mask of the wireless network> <IP of the router on the network> IF <this will either by 1 or 2, probably 2, it says which network adapter to use>

This must be done for every server face book has, other wise stuff won't work. Oh, you'll also need to add a proxy exception for the facebook domain.

• 2 weeks later...
Places of work block sites for good reasons (usually). So, you really should consider if doing this is the right thing, and how much of a problem it will cause you if it is discovered that you are actively bypassing the efforts of the IT people.

I am an IT person here lol!!! It's just all of our network traffic goes through national proxy / router etc, and I just know the basics of TCP/IP to get me by. I have no qualifications at all and am self taught in most of the stuff I know. I suppose I'll need to learn a bit about routing or forget it. To be honest I'm not that bothered about facebook but it would be nice to be able to get to http://www.nirsoft.net/ for example, which is blocked here under the Category "Hacking", which is strange besause the site has very little to do with 'hacking' and here I am on Hak5 forums no problem lol.

Thanks

[edit]Actually, that "route" command looks easy. Nice. Thanks again![/edit]

Edited by davil

I am an IT person here lol!!! It's just all of our network traffic goes through national proxy / router etc, and I just know the basics of TCP/IP to get me by. I have no qualifications at all and am self taught in most of the stuff I know. I suppose I'll need to learn a bit about routing or forget it. To be honest I'm not that bothered about facebook but it would be nice to be able to get to http://www.nirsoft.net/ for example, which is blocked here under the Category "Hacking", which is strange besause the site has very little to do with 'hacking' and here I am on Hak5 forums no problem lol.

Thanks

As was said before, there's a reason for the firewall. Now with what you're trying to do, you're going to completely bypass the firewall. You're an "IT guy", just get the site unblocked. I've never seen a proxy that didn't have bypass passwords, or the ability to set certain mac addresses to not use the proxy.

Thanks

Why don't you set up a proxy server preferably somewhere outside of the perimeter of your company and tunnel all the traffic through. That will be your best bet to bypass any website that is being blocked by your company.