Securing A Remote Connection To My Home Pc.

Michael Deats

Hey guys,

I've got a PC at home and I want to set up remote desktop to it with the built in remote desktop from windows. Now I know how to do it, I just want to know how secure it is, and if you guys have any more tips on keeping it even more secure?

Edit: Oh yeah, both the system I'm connecting to and from are both running windows 7, thought that might be relevant :)

Edited by Michael Deats

I was gonna suggest the TeamViewer too but spot on Dude.

If you are looking for security, VPN would probably be the best solution, Most home routers have some VPN capabilities. My question is, what are you trying to do? Remote access files? Remote-desktop like a VNC to click around? Or remote to say have a SSH for command line stuff?

If you are looking for security, VPN would probably be the best solution, Most home routers have some VPN capabilities. My question is, what are you trying to do? Remote access files? Remote-desktop like a VNC to click around? Or remote to say have a SSH for command line stuff?

Remote desktop like VNC :)

Edited by Michael Deats

Hmm, well where I stay, the internet is not exactly on-par with the rest of the world.. Would tunneling over ssh be faster?

Well, using a VPN or a tunnel of some nature does add a bandwidth over head, so there for, theoretically, would be slower. You are not likely to notice however as most encryption protocols don't increase the bandwidth used significantly (in some cases barley at all, in the case of SSH the additional bandwidth cost is only for the initial setup of the connection).

Well, using a VPN or a tunnel of some nature does add a bandwidth over head, so there for, theoretically, would be slower. You are not likely to notice however as most encryption protocols don't increase the bandwidth used significantly (in some cases barley at all, in the case of SSH the additional bandwidth cost is only for the initial setup of the connection).

So SSH tunneling would be better then? Wasn't there an old hak5 ep on this? In like season 1?

Edit: Found it! Episode 1x07

Edited by Michael Deats

I think it needs a high speed internet connection, but I could be wrong.

I've remoted my Aunt's laptop over a mifi connection. They snowbird back and forth between OH and FL. Worked just fine. Little lag, but it wasn't bad enough to rule out that kind of connection.

Got the SSH server up and running, port forward and everything works except for the fact that DynDns is down for maintenance. Just having some issues getting the tunnel setup but I'm trying an app called tunnelier now :)

Edit: Tunnelier seems to be working.. it's just slow as hell..

Edited by Michael Deats

This would probably answer it better than I can.

Note: If you are using RDP, you need to pick a different source port than 3389, if you are going off a Windows box.

Can I use any other source port or is it a specific port I need to use for the source port?