[Version 1] Android App Idea ...

Trip

Im not 100% sure how the duck works but thought id contribute my 2 cents, could you use an android phones micro USB (via a cable to the duck) to select different scripts to upload to the duck before connecting to a pc ...

i dont know if this is possible .... i know its possible to browse files on the phone from pc

but is it possible to read a usb stick / sdcard via the micro usb on the phone

i hope this makes sense

any comments appreciated

and if anyone thinks this is a good idea feel free to rip my idea

just knowing i've helped you out is enough for me

I know u normally could use GCC on a rooted android...

So maybe if you have all the files in the android, you could load the one you wan't...

but then you would need a teensy loader app for your android, and that doesn't exist...

but then you would need a teensy loader app for your android, and that doesn't exist...

Does the open source command line version compile and work on Android?

Is there a widely available netbook or laptop, or really ANY android hardware that would be a compelling platform? (eg, something with a viable keyboard)

The GUI-based Teensy Loader is built using wxWidgets. I'm certainly willing to give it a try on other platforms, if wxWidgets supports them.

Some time ago, as an experiment, it was compiled on Maemo Linux and ran on a Nokia smartphone, so it certainly is possible to build it on small-ish devices, if wxWidgets can support them. However, on the Nokia smartphone, it had some issues where it unnecessarily took the whole screen, which apparently is the default behavior unless the app is coded to use some other API. No further work was done beyond "yup, it works, but it's not particularly useful".

For a public release, it has to meet at least a liberal definition of "actually useful".

Edited by Paul Stoffregen

Does the open source command line version compile and work on Android?

Is there a widely available netbook or laptop, or really ANY android hardware that would be a compelling platform? (eg, something with a viable keyboard)

The GUI-based Teensy Loader is built using wxWidgets. I'm certainly willing to give it a try on other platforms, if wxWidgets supports them.

Some time ago, as an experiment, it was compiled on Maemo Linux and ran on a Nokia smartphone, so it certainly is possible to build it on small-ish devices, if wxWidgets can support them. However, on the Nokia smartphone, it had some issues where it unnecessarily took the whole screen, which apparently is the default behavior unless the app is coded to use some other API. No further work was done beyond "yup, it works, but it's not particularly useful".

For a public release, it has to meet at least a liberal definition of "actually useful".

I did a little research about wxWidgets and Android...

this is what i've found...

- Android seems to be written from scratch. In my opinion a huge waste

of

time and effort. Also an OS on top of an OS doesn't make sense. It would

have been much better to take an existing cross platform library and

extend

it. WxWidgets** (see below) for instance addresses 90% of Android's

features (and offers a lot of extras like connectivity to several

databases). Even better, WxWidgets can be used from a large number of

programming languages including Java

Source: http://markmail.org/message/elkgasgax2jiflar

now I have to say i didn't exactly find some apps for android that used wxWidgets,

so no real proof...

But it seems that if you would wan't to create the teensy loader for android phones,

you'll have to code it with JAVA :) (maybe you allready knew...)

Still, would be a verry nice project... I am willing to help,

I have written some small, not super complicated apps for my Android phone,

so if I could be any help...

• 1 year later...

I know, this thread is quite old but may be somebody is interested: there are some efforts to port wxWidgets to Android. More details are available within the news directly at http://www.wxwidgets.org