Little Cross Platform Project

Okay so I'm working on a project for my high school networking class (thought I'd give them something to have fun with after i leave) so I'm making a Windows/Ubuntu Linux network in the back of the lab. I'm setting up two Ubuntu 9.10 machines, two Windows XP Professional SP3 machines, a Ubuntu Server 9.10 box and finally a Windows Server 2003/2008 *haven't decided* box. I was wondering what i should make each of the servers do and how to configure this network (as in which server mitigates DHCP, DNS, Print management, File Sharing and so on). I'm open to all ideas, let them flow freely. No idea but a dumb one is a dumb idea.

You could consolidate those operating systems onto a single physical machine. For example instead of having two physical machines running Ubuntu 9.10, you could have one machine running two virtual Ubuntu 9.10 at the same time. You could download a software like VMware or VirtualBox to accomplish that. Make sure the machine has plenty or ram as well, I would recommend something like 8 to 10 gigs if your mainboard supports.

On the same physical machine, you could set up another virtual machine for running Windows Server 2003/2008. As to what services to run on these servers, you could consider the following:

1. Web server (Apache + PHP + Mysql) For web design/development

2. FTP Server for uploading and downloading videos, music, pictures or whatever

3. A DNS and DHCP server would be ideal to have in this case.

4. A music streaming server

5. A VPN server

Um...well i can tell you've never been to school in southern Oregon. We don't have any boxes that can have over 1 GB of RAM. Basically machines dating late 90's to early 2000's. Thanks nonetheless.

Oh man, your school should seriously consider an upgrade, but I don't know how tight their budget is so I am guessing that won't be possible.

Edited by Infiltrator

Probably not in the picture. Even then i want to do it so the other underclassmen can LAN and use it for DNS/Advanced networking stuff.

I think with the current gear you have, you should be able to achieve your goal. Though 1gb of ram is not a lot but it should be enough to get things going.

Edited by Infiltrator

Well, i guess the root question i have is which OS does what better in a domain setting. Which should i use for printing, file sharing, dhcp, dns and so on. i was planning on using the linux box for mysql, dns and dhcp while i use the windows server to mitigate fiile sharing and active directory stuff for the windows machins on the network. any thoughts?

Well, i guess the root question i have is which OS does what better in a domain setting. Which should i use for printing, file sharing, dhcp, dns and so on. i was planning on using the linux box for mysql, dns and dhcp while i use the windows server to mitigate fiile sharing and active directory stuff for the windows machins on the network. any thoughts?

For domain settings windows will definitely do the job. Because it can do active directory whereas linux can't. So if you want to be able to join computers to a domain use windows 2003/2008 server.

But Linux can also do DNS, DHCP, file sharing, mysql and other services as well.

For domain settings windows will definitely do the job. Because it can do active directory whereas linux can't. So if you want to be able to join computers to a domain use windows 2003/2008 server.

But Linux can also do DNS, DHCP, file sharing, mysql and other services as well.

allright then. thanks for the insight

• 1 month later...

In a Business environment

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT put a DHCP server online!

The networking people WILL NOT like that. Especially if it doesn't have internet access and get help desk complaints about not being able to connect to the intra/internet. Even if it assigns IPs with network access they will get angry.

Did this in my forensic lab. Some people popped up DHCP by accident and all sorts of chaos happened.