Netgear Modem + Router

p1rat33r

Hey guys,

I've got a question about router/modem combinations.

I live in university housing, and there has been a netgear modem/wireless router connected since I got here. The problem is the password is the same as every other unit in the building, and my neighbors have been leeching my connection for months.

I need to kick out my neighbors without screwing over my roommates. The configuration password is something other than default. My concern is that hard resetting the router will erase some important config and I'll be hosed because support is virtually nonexistent from the university or the ISP (each tells me to call the other), and I won't be able to configure the device.

So, my question is: Has anyone had experience configuring one of these things? Can I safely default the device to factory settings, or will i lose the ability to connect?

This is the model we have, CG814WG: http://www.netgear.com/upload/product/cg81...4wg_12jan07.pdf

Edited by p1rat33r

Haha, simple answer, get your hands on another AP, plug into Ethernet and detach the antenna of the Netgear.

You could use airdrop-ng, ettercap, ip/port forwarding etc to do all kinds of things, but sometimes the simplest answer is the best.

Edited by SWFu