Oem Cd

danger

alright so i deleted my recovery partition from the dell inspiron 1501 but would like to go back to factory default, i am not able to make recovery cd or order as i am cheap, would i be able to download a OEM dell image and use the key on the bottom of the laptop?

thanks

alright so i deleted my recovery partition from the dell inspiron 1501 but would like to go back to factory default, i am not able to make recovery cd or order as i am cheap, would i be able to download a OEM dell image and use the key on the bottom of the laptop?

thanks

May be if it's the right version. What you need to really worry about though, is the source trustworthy?

What os do you want?

You can find lot's on most torrent sites,but check em first.

I had to reinstall a packard bell machine today also without recovery dvd.

So i looked for xp iso...checked it out and installed it.

I had to look for the correct drivers doh.

But everything works.

c

thanks

OEM is a lot cheaper than the Retail version, see if you can buy it from Ebay should be a lot cheaper.

Only problem is OEM is tired to the motherboard legally so once the mobo changes you're suppose to get a new licence. As if anyone does :)

Only problem with the OEM stickers is all those keys are deactivated for online activation. You'll have to call MS to get it reactivated. Try it out as you may get lucky but it will probably tell you, you need to call MS to activate it. (Only know as tried some OEM's on bottom of laptops from work, because we wipe ours and reimage so all those Vista keys were going to waste. Once I looked into why the code wouldn't work I found the above.)

May be able to go through the phone automation, I never tried so don't know if it works.

Only problem is OEM is tired to the motherboard legally so once the mobo changes you're suppose to get a new licence. As if anyone does :)

Only problem with the OEM stickers is all those keys are deactivated for online activation. You'll have to call MS to get it reactivated. Try it out as you may get lucky but it will probably tell you, you need to call MS to activate it. (Only know as tried some OEM's on bottom of laptops from work, because we wipe ours and reimage so all those Vista keys were going to waste. Once I looked into why the code wouldn't work I found the above.)

May be able to go through the phone automation, I never tried so don't know if it works.

And guess what that's what I've done in the past I have installed my OEM version, several times on different computers and many times all I had to do was ring up Microsoft and have to speak to an automated voice, all they do is ask for a string of generated serial numbers and once you have entered them on your phone keypad, they will generate a new serial number and hand it over the phone to u. Thats as simple as it is. Or you could use key grabber/finder to rip the serial key from another working machine. Fuck Microsoft licenses, they really annoy me.

And I am cheap so I always look for cheap solutions.

Edited by Infiltrator

Would reusing a key (multiple times on different machines) and breaking the license agreement be considered pirating?

I've bought OEM licenses for all the machines I have at home (minus a dell, which came preinstalled with XP). I'd rather pay a bit of money up front then deal with a shitstorm if it ever came to that.

Edited by Charles

Would reusing a key (multiple times on different machines) and breaking the license agreement be considered pirating?

Was that a rhetorical question? I think you already know the answer to that. You essentially are pirating it at that point, even if only to yourself. If you installed it on multiple computers, but only when upgrading your systems from old machine to new machine, its technically not pirating, but if these machines all exist at the same time using the same license and are all active, yes, its illegal. That is of course unless you have a multi-license or volume license edition of an OS, which of course doesnt apply.

I've bought OEM licenses for all the machines I have at home (minus a dell, which came preinstalled with XP). I'd rather pay a bit of money up front then deal with a shitstorm if it ever came to that.

Yes unfortunately it is, even though you're not making money or a profit from it. However, they don't really notice or don't bother to blacklist the key if lets say 3 machines have been activated with the same key. If that key gets activate shit loads of times, then they know it's in the black market to black list it.

There will be no shitstorm. They'll just black list the key and you'll get a message on next update that your OS is a pirate copy and to buy a genuine licence.

OEM licences though are suppose to be tired to the mobo. So if you upgrade the mobo you need to get a new licence. Like I said before, but fuck doing that, it would be to experience and a fucking stupid rule.

It's like my Technet subscription. I wanted to setup a domain etc at home with genuine keys for testing and just to keep it running for months to play etc. To learn. Once I've finished testing I suppose to stop using the keys. But I won't. But they'll only ever be available to me, I won't give them out to anyone and because of that, MS seemingly don't bother to inforce the rule that they are suppose to only be for testing. They won't know as some companies test systems for years. If those keys got out into the wild though and were activated thousands of times, then they'd take notice and block list all my keys more than likely.

Anyway, enough rambling :) (I haven't checked it over so might not make sense :) )

Was that a rhetorical question?

Yeah, it was a rhetorical question. :P Just something to think about whenever someone says "fuck microsoft" etc.

Yes unfortunately it is, even though you're not making money or a profit from it. However, they don't really notice or don't bother to blacklist the key if lets say 3 machines have been activated with the same key. If that key gets activate shit loads of times, then they know it's in the black market to black list it.

There will be no shitstorm. They'll just black list the key and you'll get a message on next update that your OS is a pirate copy and to buy a genuine licence.

Good point. Haven't had that happen, outside of forgetting to activate an eval copy of Server 2008 after the 10 day "grace period." You just get nagged every time the machine boots as well as reduced functionality. That's enuff for me to just buy a copy for each machine, that way I can prove that I have a licensed copy.

It's like my Technet subscription. I wanted to setup a domain etc at home with genuine keys for testing and just to keep it running for months to play etc. To learn. Once I've finished testing I suppose to stop using the keys. But I won't. But they'll only ever be available to me, I won't give them out to anyone and because of that, MS seemingly don't bother to inforce the rule that they are suppose to only be for testing. They won't know as some companies test systems for years. If those keys got out into the wild though and were activated thousands of times, then they'd take notice and block list all my keys more than likely.

I'm sure there are companies that do the same with their Technet or MSDN stuff. Then again, I've seen companies testing software on the same machines for years, so I guess it is a bit of a gray area.

Someone at work mentioned in the Windows 7 EULA that it says you can put it on up to 3 machines on the same property as long as only one machine is using it at one time.

Don't know if he was talking bollards or not.

Screw it, i wont be doing it, its not even my computer. a friend wants to fix it and install the OS back but doesnt want a pirated copy or ubuntu. he can go out and pay for the licence.

That would be the best course of action. :)

Screw it, i wont be doing it, its not even my computer. a friend wants to fix it and install the OS back but doesnt want a pirated copy or ubuntu. he can go out and pay for the licence.

Check New Egg. You can possibly upgrade his system(if the machin can handle it) to a new OS in the process too for really cheap. Win 7 Pro 64bit is like $100.