Getting Started

Samoflange

Hello All,

I've worked in IT for about 8 years. My experience is unix/windoze stuff. I script in kornshell, SQL etc ... My biggest weakness is Networking.

I can not explain how excited I get when I start messing with the beginning steps of hacking. I am not a mean person, nor would I ever do anything to hurt anyone. I just absolutely love the thrill of the hack. However, I am more than a noob at it. I am scared to search the internet to learn because as one who likes this sort of stuff I realize the people I may go to could be evil! Hak.5 seems to be a very sharing and "safe" place and possibly just what I have been searching for.

I am not looking to be handed everything on a plate, I will do the work. I just need help getting started. Time is not exactly a luxary for me so I can't commit to becoming a senior admin and developer and network engineer. Instead, I am looking to learn the foundational pieces that lay out the framework. Once I "get it" and have the basics down, I will thrive. I guess I am simply looking to avoid wasting my time learning things I will never need. And with SO much out there, it is fairly easy to consume a butt load of useless knowledge. I know a lot about IT, but I am missing that piece. I think you understand what I mean - maybe because of my lack of Network experience but I guess that's the kind of answer I need clarified. I am not a genius but I am smart and clever. If anyone can help steer me in the right direction I would be so grateful.

Samoflange

Here's the thing: You don't learn to hack.

No, you make yourself intimately familiar with a certain, common type of technology (or a multitude of them) and soon enough you see that people who've applied that same technology did so without as much care as should've been. Since you're the expert on the technology now, you'll know and understand what they did wrong, how to fix it, and probably also how to abuse it. Since SQL is among your expertise, see how SQL is used in online forms. The good sites sanitize everything, but a lot of them out there fail to do so properly, primarily on pages that don't get hit very often (error pages and what have you).

If you want to get into networking, well, do just that. Feel free to ask around for book titles or site references about the thing. I'm sure people will be willing to help in that regard.

Just understand that the hacking that Hak.5 wants to get associated with is hacking in the sense of tinkering with stuff to make it do something it might not have been designed to, but which is cool nonetheless. As opposed to cracking, which is often termed hacking by the ignorant masses that surround us, which sole purpose is to make some program do something it's not supposed to purely for personal gain. Any questions you ask that feel like they belong in the latter of these 2 categories ('How can I get the root password for...' 'What was that program you use for DDOS attacks?' 'I'm planning to use my botnet for...') chances are you'll get some unfriendly comments.

Actually that is great to hear. What you explain will warrant unfriendly posts is exactly what I don't want to do. That is what hooked me with this site, the non-A-hole factor. I posted this because I thought I knew alot about technology until I watched episode 3 when Darren used cain and ethereal to catch packets. I was hooked and wound up performing all of that at home last night on my machines. The problem for me was that I felt lost, in that, yes "I did it", but that I had no idea how. As far as I am concerned I didn't do anything. I didn't write the software and didn't figure out how to use it. I am passionate about learning how it works - not just doing it.

Thanks for the reply, it was a relief as I didn't want to land in "Cracking" Land.

People are to anti crackers, the skills can come in very useful for making money legally, take penetration testing for example which can earn you £30,000 to £60,000 a year and it’s relatively easy work.

I say learn everything you can and I recommend you learn how to do all the illegal things as it will come in useful if you ever go into computer security.

Feel free to email me if you want to learn how to do something that you would consider being in the realm of the cracker and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

If you want to protect yourself against something it helps to know how to do it in the first place.

Welcome to anyone new, I am happy to answer most questions even “how do I write a virus / worm†but if you ask something like “can you deface this site for me†or “how can I get AutoCAD for free†well I just won’t responded.

There are so many cool things that come under the realms of cracking, like SQL injection, XSS, writing cracks (It's useful to know how it’s done if you write commercial software) and many more it seems a shame to just ignore the area.

yea, just like Samoflange said, even episode 3 got me hooked to hak.5, yes i am new to all this security stuff, but i kno my basics of networking, and how they baiscally work. even in elementary school, they assigned me to make sure everything in the IT department was working fine, so yea, i joined here to increase my knowledge about networking and security :D