Can A Server Run Off Usb Key?

kingpinzs

A linux system, yes, with a little work getting it installed natively instead of as a Live system with a ramdisk.

As far as I know, windows won't allow you to install its OS to removable media unless its something like a BartPE type of deal, which basically removes full cuntionality of the OS to make it a small portable live disc type of system. I use the UBCD4WIN as a live XP machine to fix desktops, but every time I try to install any of their OS's to a USB HDD, even after formatting and activating the partition, it gives an error stating it cant be installed removable media.

I have been told its possible to flip a bit on a removable HDD to make it look like a fixed drive and then install to it natively, but I have never seen it done. The other thing is that the performance from a removable drive would not be very good since usb 2.0 maxes out at 480mb/s. Your best bet would be to use eSATA and bypass USB all together.

Windows Embedded, however, will run happily on USB drives as standard.

If instead you mean running a server from a USB stick on an OS which already exists, well, there's no reason why not, either on Windows, Linux or OSX. A copy of Apache and whatever else can run just fine from a USB stick... in fact, check out WAMP/LAMP and their variations. Bear in mind, however, that many concurrent uploads or downloads to said server will work the USB stick hard, and will be slow.

Windows Embedded, however, will run happily on USB drives as standard.

Are you talking about like CE versions? Where do you get copies of something like an embedded XP or later OS?

I still want to see if its possible to port a native install of something like 7 to a thumbstick or even portable HDD. I imagine its possible you could do some sort of linux DD image dump to a USB drive, but not sure how it would write the boot section for the BIOS to see it or what it would see it as. Might have to use something like Grub to get the machine started afterwards if its even possible to do it with something like Clonezilla or such.

Hmm... I have enough projects on my plate already, but I might just be making a trip to the store this weekend to pick up another 16GB thumbdrive to try Vista or 7 on it via manual copy since the native installers wont allow it.

You can get Windows Embedded Compact, which is CE based (and includes the Windows Mobile family), Windows Embedded Standard which is XP based, and Windows Embedded Enterprise which is Vista based. Standard versions of Windows aren't good on flash media.

You can try the 2011 edition here, http://connect.microsoft.com/windowsembedded

You can get Windows Embedded Compact, which is CE based (and includes the Windows Mobile family), Windows Embedded Standard which is XP based, and Windows Embedded Enterprise which is Vista based. Standard versions of Windows aren't good on flash media.

You can try the 2011 edition here, http://connect.microsoft.com/windowsembedded

What he said. However, I'd add that Embedded Standard 2009 is XP-based, Standard 2011 is Win7 based, Vista for Embedded Systems is, surprise, Vista based.

Still, it's true, Windows doesn't like running from USB in its standard form. XP can be installed to USB sticks/HDDs with minor modification to the install files, but it can be unstable or have issues with USB support, Vista and 7 aren't quite as obliging, though. The embedded versions are specifically designed to run on unusual setups, including from USB drives.

What he said. However, I'd add that Embedded Standard 2009 is XP-based, Standard 2011 is Win7 based, Vista for Embedded Systems is, surprise, Vista based.

Still, it's true, Windows doesn't like running from USB in its standard form. XP can be installed to USB sticks/HDDs with minor modification to the install files, but it can be unstable or have issues with USB support, Vista and 7 aren't quite as obliging, though. The embedded versions are specifically designed to run on unusual setups, including from USB drives.

When they made Windows Embedded 2009 Standard, they hadn't finished modularizing Vista, so they went with XP. The enterprise edition is based on XP, Vista and 7, and the 2011 version is based on 7 while Server Embedded is currently based on Server 2008 R2. TBH, its a bit of a mess and I've probably got something mixed up but since its only avalible to OEM's and SA customers, its not really an issue. If you have MSDN then you can get all versions.

As far as I know, windows won't allow you to install its OS to removable media unless its something like a BartPE type of deal, which basically removes full cuntionality of the OS to make it a small portable live disc type of system.

So thats why Windows acts like a c*nt, good to know there is a fix for it!