Learning Linux Podcast

driveingnow

I am taking a Unix class in the fall and to get a jump start on it i was looking for a podcast that would teach me how to use it.

and seeing that Linux is so close to Unix if there is a podcast that will teach me things like how to use the command line.

even a Vidcast (lack of a better word) would work, but Ihave a hard time trying to follow written instuctions wile trying to do it.

As all ways Thanks for any and all help

I don't know about teaching you command line but this is the only linux orientated podcast that I know of http://www.linuxreality.com/.

I don't really listen to it because its a bit too much of a beginners guide.

The trick with command line though is using the documentation well, as well as using it everyday. So either set yourself a little server up (could be visualised) which only runs text interface or try and use Linux/BSD as you main operating system and force yourself to use the command line as much as possible.

Best of luck.

I'd recommend something like freeBSD or gentoo, over something like ubuntu. FreeBSD taught me loads in a very short space of time, mainly due to the fact that there are no short cuts.

You might want to try sun solaris 10 as well. Anyone used/using it here? Kinda interested myself.

I didn't like Solaris 10, very bloated, the smallest instal I could get it to do was nearly 3GB which is simply unacceptable.

If you want an unforgiving OS that will force you to learn everything then try OpenBSD.

You might want to try sun solaris 10 as well. Anyone used/using it here? Kinda interested myself.

I used to work for Sun so I had to deal with it a lot and all I can say is, its fine on Sun hardware but I wouldn’t pick it as the OS on my main PC.

I’m more of a fan of OpenBSD over all the other flavours. If you can get your hands on HPUX, give it a try.

I agree with Metatron, it's a fantastic operating system for servers, especially running on Sun hardware, if you want to run large databases and such Solaris can't be touched. But for a workstation or desktop environment I'd recommend a more standard Linux. If you build Gentoo all the way through yourself you are going to learn a shit load about UNIX, however it may be a difficult task if you don't have much patience. I would recommend staying away from something like SuSE or Ubuntu because the installers do all the work for you, so you may not get a chance to learn a lot about the system and how it peices together.