Os X 10.6 Snow Leopard On The Eeepc 1000he

timmy

Well because of the price of mac OSX 10.6 I thought that my Asus 1000he was looking like a good candidate to turn into a hackintosh. I was wondering whether I should install it alongside my current duelboot of XP and Ubunto.

But before i do i really don't see some of the benefits since im running with ubunto the only thing that really appeals to me is that the mac pretty OS. Ive done some research and of course ubunto 9.10 outperforms Mac OSX 10.6 in most areas. I was just wondering is there any reason why i should get Mac OSX ?

your thoughts/ opinions ?

You can debate the merits of any given OS versus another all day long but ultimately only you can really give the answer. Personally? With Windows and Linux, I'd say OSX is pretty much redundant. How often will you really reboot to use it? What use is a pretty interface if you have to reboot to do anyting? I can see the attraction to hackintoshing, but I think it makes a lot more sense if it's your only OS or if you're a huge Mac fan and use OSX day in and day out.

Leopard runs tolerably on an eeepc 701 which has an underclocked 900MHz Celeron M (running at 630MHz, overclockable by BIOS if you have the appropriate version or software if not) with 512MB RAM and GMA915 graphics. The screen resolution is somewhat restrictive but speed-wise it's more than tolerable. I see no reason why anything more powerful couldn't handle it but I do think that if you're multi-booting it's a little redundant. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not fully capable of researching and fixing their own problems either, it can be a little picky and there's no telling if and when Apple might decide to kill OSx86.

• 4 months later...
Well because of the price of mac OSX 10.6 I thought that my Asus 1000he was looking like a good candidate to turn into a hackintosh. I was wondering whether I should install it alongside my current duelboot of XP and Ubunto.

But before i do i really don't see some of the benefits since im running with ubunto the only thing that really appeals to me is that the mac pretty OS. Ive done some research and of course ubunto 9.10 outperforms Mac OSX 10.6 in most areas. I was just wondering is there any reason why i should get Mac OSX ?

your thoughts/ opinions ?

the only reason I tried running a hackintosh recently ( actually a vm ) was so i could have a look at some mac only software:

logic.

and because someone appears to have made an emulator for the Digidesign hardware so you can run pro-tools without the hardware, ( I was interested in how it works, - I already own an MBox)

tbh, ardour and jack on ubuntu excite me more logic, (but I digress, this is your mac thread ;) )

Edited by oxide54

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not fully capable of researching and fixing their own problems either, it can be a little picky and there's no telling if and when Apple might decide to kill OSx86.

what ever you say about macroshaft, the win32 api has been around for ages and they did actually make a lot of effort to keep stuff working between OS transitions. rather than apple which just killed they're os twice.