Software Restriction Policy Workaround?

hypnotoad

Does anyone have any information on how to get around software restriction policies?

I've been trying to use Putty in my local library to continue working on things at home, but I keep getting an error saying to ask the admin to allow it. the problem is, the computers in the library are all administered by the local city council, and getting it touch with someone to explain my needs, is impossible (IT support is a closed department and non-contactable by the general public)

cheers guys

You would stand a better chance of getting remote access by using a Java client assuming the computers have Java installed.

There are Java SSH clients around, but I don't think they off all the features that PuTTY does. What type of remote access are you trying to use?

I'm just trying to SSH into my home box to keep an eye on running processes. (it would be nice to be able to tunnel past the draconian web filter as well)

When you say a Java SSH client mean it is a .jar file or an executable written in Java?

I'm sure how tight the restrictions in place actually are.

What should I check that might help me move forward?

ok, i'll try that when next I have the chance.

would it not simply be a case of telling the client (in my case Putty) to just use SSH over an allowed port like 80.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm quite the n00b.

That would work if the firewall allows traffic by port number (e.g. 80), but it may be the case that it allows traffic by protocol type (e.g. HTTP)

I'm just trying to SSH into my home box to keep an eye on running processes. (it would be nice to be able to tunnel past the draconian web filter as well)

When you say a Java SSH client mean it is a .jar file or an executable written in Java?

I'm sure how tight the restrictions in place actually are.

What should I check that might help me move forward?

Why not set up a small web server and report the data over that? HTTPS with a username/password. Heck you could even install your own java/php/? file manager on the server...

Edited by beakmyn

Are you trying to run software like PuTTy on the library's computers, or from your own laptop using their network? Either way, you are using someone elses network, you are to follow their networks policy.

If you want to break their policy (and the law) you may as well unplug their machine and plug in your own to the network and then do what you want with it. If this were truly to get info from your machines running processes, as you say, then follow beakmyn's advice, set up a web reporting interface to show you what you want and then access it legally from the web. You can set up something like xampp for windows, or lamp for linux, both of which are free and will give you web access to the machines over port 80. You could even use logmein to get to your machine via browser if you really needed to see whats going on with a home machine, although I dont care much for logmein.

If you can legally find another way around it to do what you want, that to me is a decent hack more than anything else. Trying to circumvent the policy in place may not even be needed to accomplish your goal, just need to keep trying other things till you find something that works.

Edited by digip

Are you trying to run software like PuTTy on the library's computers, or from your own laptop using their network? Either way, you are using someone elses network, you are to follow their networks policy.

I am trying to run PuTTy in their computers so I can SSH to my home machine and keep an eye on compiling code.

I have checked the usage policy and it does not say anything at all about running other software.

I am trying to run PuTTy in their computers so I can SSH to my home machine and keep an eye on compiling code.

I have checked the usage policy and it does not say anything at all about running other software.

While the usage policy doesn't state it, just be sure to ask someone first. Don't put yourself in a situation you could avoid if necessary.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have any information on how to get around software restriction policies?

I've been trying to use Putty in my local library to continue working on things at home, but I keep getting an error saying to ask the admin to allow it. the problem is, the computers in the library are all administered by the local city council, and getting it touch with someone to explain my needs, is impossible (IT support is a closed department and non-contactable by the general public)

cheers guys

By the way if you are just trying to install putty but unable to, because of system restrictions. Try using the portable version of putty. All you have to do is run the application itself, there's no installation required and it can be easily run off any USB drive.

You can find it at http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/putty_portable

Edited by Infiltrator

Yeah, portable putty doesn't work either. Basically, on the machines provided.. you cant do a sodding thing... not that It matters now, I have a new laptop now so I can install what I want.

SSH turned out to be blocked, so I just went over port 443 ;)

Thanks though.