Buying laptop

thelowlyone

My dad is looking to get a laptop for work. He wants something that is powerful (preferably enough to do minor video editing), thin, light, and durable. He really wants a Thinkpad but they're expensive. Any suggestions? Budget is around $1000 to $1200

And preferably an Intel Core Duo and Windows XP Pro.

If you lived in England and had £1000 I would surgest this one, but... your not...

Yeah so if you can find it's equivalence over there it's probably 1/2 the price LMAO

Edit http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1142301194016

Its $1600 at BestBuy (£872) and its probably cheeper elsewhere keep lookin not quite 1/2 price lol

Sony not the best to go with ATM but soon maybe majorly discounted - maybe time for them to claim bankrupsy (Agere, loan, the list goes on...)

It’s good for the price, but I don’t like Sony computers. You can get some good laptops from HP, if you can’t afford a ThinkPad.

HP dv1000t

Intel® Core Duo processor T2500 (2.0 GHz)

14.0" WXGA Widescreen (1280x768)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 – Core

1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB)

100 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth

Price $1200

If you can get a bit more money the 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery upgrade is worth the $39.00.

EuroPC are good, I got a 1000£ laptop for £600 from them. Also got 1yr onsite next day support, which means when it got dropped at a party, I had someone in my house a 9am the next day fixing it.

Dell Outlet US

Dell Outlet UK

SterlingXS <- never used them, but they respond to enquires fast.

A lot of people say "dells are shit", but i've never had a problem with them, fast service, good prices and good support if you buy through the business side rather than the home division.

Thanks for the suggestions. My dad really likes Sony computers but I prefer HP's because the Sony costs more for the same specs.

It’s good for the price, but I don’t like Sony computers. You can get some good laptops from HP, if you can’t afford a ThinkPad.

Is that from HP's website or retail? And is it after rebates or as is?

It's from HP's website with a $50.00 rebate.

If you go for the Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support instead of the LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer, you can get the 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery upgrade and all you will lose is the ability to Label discs by burning silkscreen-quality graphics on them and the price will come out as $1,217.99 with a $50.00 rebate.

This is the is the build I would recommend:

Hp dv1000t

Intel® Core Duo processor T2500 (2.0 GHz)

14.0" WXGA Widescreen (1280x768)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 - Core

1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB)

100 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth

12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

$1,217.99

http://www.shopping.hp.com