software

techtest

Hi Sir.

I am want to monitor who is consuming more bandwidth in my LAN . I want to know which IP is downloading or uploading more bandwidth .I am using a 2 Mbps connection with 50 users . all are connected through etherner cable and geeting DHCP ip through lynksys router .

So please tell me software i want to install in my pc in LAN and to see which IP is usging more bandwidth .

Thannks in advacne

techtest

Depending on the firmware and router model your options are SNMP and RFLOW. If its a basic consumer router then you will need to upgrade the firmware and/or hardware as they were never designed to do this.

Depending on the firmware and router model your options are SNMP and RFLOW. If its a basic consumer router then you will need to upgrade the firmware and/or hardware as they were never designed to do this.

So is there any software to install in my PC and to monitor which IP is utilizing more bandwidth .

Not without something like RFLOW or SNMP. Your router has to monitor the bandwidth usage and relay that information to your desktop client software or a hosted application. There isn't some magical software you can run which will just figure it out.

Hi Sir.

I am want to monitor who is consuming more bandwidth in my LAN . I want to know which IP is downloading or uploading more bandwidth .I am using a 2 Mbps connection with 50 users . all are connected through etherner cable and geeting DHCP ip through lynksys router .

So please tell me software i want to install in my pc in LAN and to see which IP is usging more bandwidth .

Thannks in advacne

techtest

Depending on the model of linksys router, you could upgrade the firmware to something like dd-wrt or open-wrt. But, being at the 50-user level, you might want to upgrade to something like a Cisco 800 series, or even the 1800 series which will give you a lot more options.

What you could do, but not exactly ideal, is set a workstation with two nics between the modem and router. Then have some software on the workstation that can do QOS and Packet Shaping, as well as IDS and Firewall control. This way you can monitor everything from that machine, but it then becomes your point of failure as well, since this machine is basically exposed directly to the internet. You could turn it into a NAT box, but then again, upgrading to a better router that does traffic shaping and QOS for you would be a better choice. Whatever you do, make sure its secure.

you sound like you are providing internet through a cable or dsl connection, if so, you could put a hub (not a switch) between your router and modem then use wire shark to look at the traffic. this option would require you to be comfortable looking at network traces though. you could also do some port spanning on your switches, if your switches support that, and effectively do the same thing, however, with the 50 or so users that you say you have, you might need to do this multiple times depending on your network setup. again, these two options are fairly technical so if you dont feel comfortable rooting around in a switch or reading a network trace then definatly go with pfsense. they have made the software extremely easy to use and install.