How much would you pay for this server

proskater123

So I have a bunch of servers and was gonna try to offer them as dedicated servers. I have a ds3 for the line. The server specs are:

dual xeon 3.0ghz

4gb ram

80gb sata hard drive

windows or Linux os

Daily backups

unlimited bandwidth

servers are power redundant

cons:

no 24 hour support so limited support

about a 48 hour turn around if hardware fails

I can't think of anything else that would help determine. So I guess whats the max you would pay. And a reasonable low price. Pretty much a price you would offer them for. I'll spend about 30 dollars a month to host them. Also if you thought you were renting these servers from an actual professional company. Just with out the support.

What Xeons are they? Is there any RAID involved? Is it a big brand server or a homebuilt machine? Tell us about the facility it is hosted in, climate controlled or not, how secure is it? Do you have a BCP/DRP, generators, multiple uplinks? How much bandwidth can you offer? And lastly, what is your SLA and how many 9's can you offer?

cons:

no 24 hour support so limited support

about a 48 hour turn around if hardware fails

This brings the price from around $200/month (what I normally pay for a dedicated host, Fairly sure its a dual core on a 10mbit line) down to about $15/month. At least in my eyes.

What Xeons are they? Is there any RAID involved? Is it a big brand server or a homebuilt machine? Tell us about the facility it is hosted in, climate controlled or not, how secure is it? Do you have a BCP/DRP, generators, multiple uplinks? How much bandwidth can you offer? And lastly, what is your SLA and how many 9's can you offer?

:lol: Get em VaKo, Get em!!!! lol

Damn I can't even figure right off hand everything he just said....

Do you support RDP/SSH? What services are you offering for the system (i.e. sql, ssl, https)? Automated site builder support? Do I get an Email Server with it? Can this service be expanded on in the future? Are your rate plans flexible? Is there support for cross site scripting? Does it come with antivirus?

Minus these services I would pay about $14 a mo. for it.

BCP/DRP is business continuity plan/disaster recovery plan, I.E. what are your plans in the event of a fire at the hosting site, if a water pipe busts or if some dipshit from the local authority puts a spade through your DS3 while mending the road.

SLA is a service level agreement, which is a contract between 2 parties which specifies things like turn-around time on fixing a hardware problem. This just covers both parties, I've seen cases where people have chosen dirt cheap hosting to run a business on, and in the event of a system outage have been unable to do anything legally as there was either no SLA in place, or one that basically didn't mention any timescales. (FYI proskater123, you need to have some form of SLA on the contract or a failed disk in the wrong place and you could be sued)

Five 9's, this is a way of measuring uptime, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_availability http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_nines

Knowing about the site the server is hosted on is mandatory for working out the pricing, is it hosted in a air-conditioned room with multiple phases, elevated floors, alarms and is it secured? Or is it hosted in a garage on a work bench on the same circuit as a dodgey microwave.

With the bandwidth, you want to know how much you are going to be allocated from the ds3, and if there is any QOS on the line to ensure you get a specific amount or if its just a pipe shared between multiple hosts on a grab what you can basis. And do you have a backup or is this a single connection?

As for the Xeons, there are multiple 3GHz Xeon chips, ranging from the 7 year old Xeon 3.0 to the very new Nehalem based Xeons. The RAID is an important question as well, a failed disk could mean a 48hr downtime slot and recovery from backup, or it could mean a quick call to the hosting firm to get a disk hot-swapped. Knowing if this is a Dell or HP server, or something that was built by hand is also useful and you can have a better understanding of it is your renting, and how supported that hardware is.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, these are just questions you need to ask if you want to know how to price something like this. There won't be any site creation tools, or any services like RDP/SSH, SQL etc, this is a dedicated server and they usually come with a basic OS install and possibly a control panel if your lucky. How you access it, what it runs etc, thats all up to you. So what you want to know about is the hardware, SLA and site, which on this forum could very well vary from a garage to a properly managed data center.

Good call VaKo, thank you for clearing up a lot of that for me. I really did know or figure about half of what you said before, just the other half I didn't know. And yeah I knew you really were not trying to be a dick, but these are perfectly good questions to ask and I knew he didn't post all the needed info by far.