Orange and T-Mobile...

moonlit

...M-E-R-G-I-N-G.

So yeah, T-Mobile UK has after much speculation decided they'd like to merge with Orange. I don't really know what to say on the matter, but I think it's sufficiently interesting to discuss. With that said, what do you Brits imagine will happen? Will they pick a single name? What will it be? Is anyone here on either of those networks and what will it do to your choice of network in future? Discuss!

Sources:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/08/orange_t_mobile/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/08/t-mobil...o-longer-clash/

Press Release:

http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2009/09/08/de...obile-champion/

Edit: I should point out that Three UK's 2G calling runs on Orange and Virgin Mobile runs entirely on T-Mobile's network. Should be interesting.

Edit2: More info: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/08/t_orange/

I just got a HTC Hero on T-Mobile for the simple reason that the data tariff was much better than Oranges, who I have been with for many years (1GB then slow vs 500MB and charges). Ideally they will combine the coverage they currently offer, and I'd hopefully see my phone being able to use either network's masts ASAP. However they will be running the networks as 2 separate entities for at least 18 months.

Thought I might add some nice facts about UK mobile networks:

Orange: France Telecom (French)

Founded by Hutchison Telecom (Chinese, division of Hutchison Whampoa), sold to Mannesmann AG (German), Mannesmann AG acquired by Vodafone and Orange was sold to France Telecom due to the ownership of two mobile network licences.

T-Mobile: Deutsche Telekom (German) (Supports Virgin Mobile)

Previously Mercury One2One, One2One, and founded by Mercury Communications (British). Later owned by Cable and Wireless (British) and MediaOne Group (American, previously US West Media Group). Purchased by Deutsche Telekom and rebranded T-Mobile.

First 1800MHz GSM network.

Three: Hutchison 3G (Chinese, division of Hutchison Whampoa)

UTMS network only, 2G provided by roaming agreements.

Vodafone: Vodafone (British)

Owned by Racal Strategic Radio Ltd (British, division of Racal Electronics PLC), Millicom (Luxembourg) and Hambros Technology Trust (British). Minority shareholders later bought out resulting in total ownership by Racal. Subsequently demerged, rebranded Vodafone Group. Purchased many companies, part owns Verizon Wireless (American) with Bell Atlantic Corp (American).

O2: Telefonica (Spanish) (Supports Tesco Mobile)

Originally BT Cellnet, Cellnet, part owned by both British Telecom (British) and Securicor (British, now known as G4S, previously known as Group4Securicor). Demerged to become O2 UK under mmO2 (British, later O2 PLC) and purchased by Telefonica.

Im thinking the deal won't happen. Yes, T-Mobile and Orange are willing, but I dont think the competitions commission will be too happy, but whatever thats just my thoughts.

I think if it does happen, the new name will be some made up "lifestyle" word.

Being an Orange customer, I'm hoping to (eventually, if/when this all happens) reap the benefits of improved coverage - I can get T-Mobile HSDPA (actually, Virgin HSDPA, runs on T-Mobile) in my house but not Orange HSDPA, it's just a shame I'm not actually on T-Mobile (or Virgin) with a phone I use day to day...

Edit: As for names, I'd like to see a revival of One2One somehow.

...M-E-R-G-I-N-G.

So yeah, T-Mobile UK has after much speculation decided they'd like to merge with Orange. I don't really know what to say on the matter, but I think it's sufficiently interesting to discuss. With that said, what do you Brits imagine will happen? Will they pick a single name? What will it be?

I think they will relocate to the north and become t'orange.

/me gets his coat