Multipass Grub2 Config

jdogherman

This had already been done in this thread, and the actual config file is a google docs and can be found here.

No, that's a config file for GRUB4DOS, not GRUB2. I think it would be a good idea if the original thread was edited though to include both a GRUB4DOS config file as well as a GRUB2 config file so it's all in one spot.

No, that's a config file for GRUB4DOS, not GRUB2. I think it would be a good idea if the original thread was edited though to include both a GRUB4DOS config file as well as a GRUB2 config file so it's all in one spot.

You're right my mistake, however here is similar list to that but with loopbacks.

Here are a couple examples;

menuentry "Ubuntu Live 9.04 i386" {

loopback loop /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso --

initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz

}

menuentry "BackTrack 4" {

linux /boot/bt4/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317 --

initrd /boot/bt4/boot/initrd.gz

}

menuentry "BackTrack ERR" {

loopback loop /boot/iso/bt4-pre-final.iso

linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz find_iso/filename=/boot/iso/bt4-pre-final.iso BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317--

initrd (loop)/boot/initrd.gz

}

I'd like to boot my Acronis True Image iso with my grub2 usb multipass.

With grub1 i've used successfully the following configuration:

title Acronis

map --mem /acronis.iso (hd32)

map --hook

chainloader (hd32)

With grub2, i've tried the following, but it keeps giving the error: "invalid file name".

menuentry "Acronis" {

loopback loop /acronis.iso

chainloader (loop)

}

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
I started an example grub.cfg on google docs, please feel free to add successful loop back entries.

Nice work. I am looking for more of these, however. I guess I expected the "boot from iso" to be much easier than extracting the folders ala GRUB legacy. Doesn't seem to be the case seeing as there are far more working programs on the legacy thread... but I digress.. I would love to have Hirens Boot CD and Kon Boot working on here. I did get BT3 working by using the extract method and following the instructions for BT4.

• 8 months later...

I know I'm bumping an ancient thread and sorry in advanced, but I am hoping to find the person who put in the SpinRite6 menu entry. I have been having nothing but problems trying to get SpinRite6 (Along with another DOS/NT img file) to boot. It loads memdisk fine as far as I can tell and then it just hangs on "InitDisk".

I have tried to boot it using memdisk raw and also tried getting the image multiple ways:

-Installing it on virtual floppy drive and saving the image (VFDWin)

-Creating the bootable img file through the SpinRite installer

-Using ImgBurn to actually create an image

I either get an error after InitDisk:

Invalid Opcode at 92A3 97DA 0287 5B33 62AF 72CF 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

or it just hangs after InitDisk for ever (It hangs on InitDisk when I make an img directly from the SpinRite6 installer instead of saving a img through a virtual floppy drive). I am not sure if the img file is just being made improperly or if it's actually just something with the grub2 entry. Anyways, hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction. Chances are if I get SpinRite working, I can also get my other img for BootIt-NG to work. :)

• 2 months later...

I have done all the research i can to figure out what ive done wrong. I have two flash drive the one I upgraded to grub2 the second was just a straight shot to grub2 and I created a grub.cfg file and placed some entrees in it. it boots up to the grub screen showing the 2 listings I put in which was an iso of windows xp pro and kon boot. neither work at the moment but I did notice something about certain commands like mem that are not installed when grub is. even tho i have tried that but still nothing is booting up.

I have done all the research i can to figure out what ive done wrong. I have two flash drive the one I upgraded to grub2 the second was just a straight shot to grub2 and I created a grub.cfg file and placed some entrees in it. it boots up to the grub screen showing the 2 listings I put in which was an iso of windows xp pro and kon boot. neither work at the moment but I did notice something about certain commands like mem that are not installed when grub is. even tho i have tried that but still nothing is booting up.

I don't think anybody ever got either of those working. The problem with XP is USB driver initialization or something like that, and the problem with Kon-Boot is that nobody has figured out how to map it correctly, I think.

• 1 month later...
I know I'm bumping an ancient thread and sorry in advanced, but I am hoping to find the person who put in the SpinRite6 menu entry. I have been having nothing but problems trying to get SpinRite6 (Along with another DOS/NT img file) to boot. It loads memdisk fine as far as I can tell and then it just hangs on "InitDisk".

I have tried to boot it using memdisk raw and also tried getting the image multiple ways:

-Installing it on virtual floppy drive and saving the image (VFDWin)

-Creating the bootable img file through the SpinRite installer

-Using ImgBurn to actually create an image

I either get an error after InitDisk:

Invalid Opcode at 92A3 97DA 0287 5B33 62AF 72CF 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

or it just hangs after InitDisk for ever (It hangs on InitDisk when I make an img directly from the SpinRite6 installer instead of saving a img through a virtual floppy drive). I am not sure if the img file is just being made improperly or if it's actually just something with the grub2 entry. Anyways, hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction. Chances are if I get SpinRite working, I can also get my other img for BootIt-NG to work. :)

This is probably a bit late now but I've been having the same trouble and have been smashing my head off the desk for a week, but I have come across the answer, finally!

It's not a problem with the .img file it's the version of memdisk you are using, download the latest version of syslinux from http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Download navigate to the memdisk directory and copy the binary from there and replace your old copy, job done!

Hope this helps someone!