USB MultiPass -FAT32 issues

t94xr

I have a question, call me stupid for asking this - wouldn't a FAT/FAT32 device have the possibility of getting infected on a compromised/infect system, which would require the use of this device make it fairly insecure and a rather a bad idea for using it as FAT/FAT32?

would a linux format like ext3 be more secure when it comes to infect systems and be a bit more secure overall?

I have a question, call me stupid for asking this - wouldn't a FAT/FAT32 device have the possibility of getting infected on a compromised/infect system, which would require the use of this device make it fairly insecure and a rather a bad idea for using it as FAT/FAT32?

would a linux format like ext3 be more secure when it comes to infect systems and be a bit more secure overall?

What does the file system have to do with security, dealing with viruses/malware/trojans/etc., unless it's encrypted? I guess you could say that a file system unsupported to said compromised system couldn't be (easily?) infected, but I don't think that's your reasoning behind why you think ext3 is somehow more secure than FAT32.

I probably would call you stupid for asking that, if we weren't getting a lot of newbs around here lately (not saying you're one though).

Any storage device has the potential for getting infected from an infected system, regardless of its filesystem. If you can access it, so can malware.

...wouldn't a FAT/FAT32 device have the possibility of getting infected on a compromised/infect system...

If you are booting a LiveCD off your USB device, why would it get infected? Ofc if you connect your USB device on a running machine that has malware it can be infected, but if you are just booting an Live OS I can't see why it would get infected unless you mount the infeted device.

Just my two coppers...

ok well i was wondering, with people installing WinPE and some forgetting about the usb and booting the system - the usb fat32 file system does have a chance to get infected when its not booted into a livecd or backtrack or something.

I did mine using ext3 - wasn't as easy as a fat32 one, but atleast Im happy in the knowledge a windows based OS cant read it or write to it

ok well i was wondering, with people installing WinPE and some forgetting about the usb and booting the system - the usb fat32 file system does have a chance to get infected when its not booted into a livecd or backtrack or something.

I did mine using ext3 - wasn't as easy as a fat32 one, but atleast Im happy in the knowledge a windows based OS cant read it or write to it

Just a word of advice, I would use ext2 but that's just me. Less read and writes done if your going to constantly use to the device. Ext3 is good if your going to use it every now and than. I'm a n00b too dude, I'm in the same boat when it comes to linux. I'd consider linux a pretty safe os though compared to the rest so I don't know why your sweatin or what you were using before....