n00b Linux Question

darkzar99

Ok, I just installed Kubuntu on this machine, but when I go to install programs (firefox) in Adept, everything that is not installed is greyed out and i can not click on them (left or right) or select it in any way. How can i fix this?

I would really suggest fluxbox, not becuase its easier to use, my reason is, if you want to learn as much as you can about linux, fluxbox will give you a GUI for stuff like IMing, webbrowsing and music listening/movie viewing, but also forces you to use A LOT of command line. that in the long run will help you more then you can ever imagine.

I would really suggest fluxbox, not becuase its easier to use, my reason is, if you want to learn as much as you can about linux, fluxbox will give you a GUI for stuff like IMing, webbrowsing and music listening/movie viewing, but also forces you to use A LOT of command line. that in the long run will help you more then you can ever imagine.

Out of interest Duelus, what would you suggest if you don't want to learn about Linux, but just want to be practical. Gnome?

I'm just interested, I also use fluxbox where I can, often because it's nicer on the resources ;-)

Cool, i'll have to try the live cd of that, ive never really used Xgl before

I'll be on it as soon as I get a Graphics card update so probably end of year lol... it looks so shiney though :) real neat stuff... would be cool to have your desktop as a book.

Anyone remember BeOS and the video wrapped around objects that was fun :)

Come to think of it I haven't seen Xgl running video yet... wonder what that looks like on a spinning cube

So how great of a graphics card do you need to have to run this?

If you are refering to Xgl, not a very powerful one. It runs ok on Intel integrated graphics cards. Obviusly it runs better on more powerful ones. You would never need any thing more powerfull then a nVidia 5500 for it to run flawlessly. Unlike a certain desktop enviroment that is still in beta... and begins with an A and ends with an O.

You could probably get a way with just using a TNT2... but it depends the resolution you are using, the number of sides and the number of windows you have open at once. Each of these things takes up graphical memory, and you will notice when your graphics card runs out of memory. Transfering data between the system RAM and the graphics cards RAM is a relitivly slow process.

Nope just mine is damed old I keep going time to update and then I read about the next thing comming out... ooo 2 GPU's on one card shinnney

Comming up the potential to have 7 cores (or more) in your machine :shock:

Sweeet PPU quad core CPU and multiple GPU's and all to play minesweeper LMAO

First KDE sucks IMHO,

Second, use CLI apt-get remove package

to isntall apt-get install package

also, uncomment the Universal repo's in /etc/apt/sources.list

then apt-get update, apt-get upgrade

Can we quit the window manager BS please?

The correct answer to "Which window manager should I use?" is "Try them and pick whatever you damn well like best."

So how great of a graphics card do you need to have to run this?

Confirmed running on:

- nVidia cards as slow as the MX 440 .. often even slower

- Intel Integrated 8xx and higher

- Vanilla older ATI Radeon cards (think around the 9200 area)

Cards confirmed that ATI is still an evil slut:

- Any Mobility FireGL

- Any card released in the last 6 months ... probably up to a year

- Any old ATI cards whatsoever (AGP 1/2/4x)