Monowall VS Smoothwall Which is better

TheZ

Which is better?  

27 members have voted

1. 1.

• MonoWall
    • SmoothWall

I use two connections at home, I get 8Mbps from one company for anything that I don’t want associated with work and a 155Mbps Lease line that my company pays for. Everything is on one network, I’m currently using a server with some software I wrote to do packet analysis and decide where they go(It is not open source).

If you were to block the ports that your bittorrent was using on one of the WAN connections and then leave it open on the other then it would be forced use the other.

Or you could use the two network cards and have them plugged into same network and then different routing tables for different IPs. You could still use just one gateway though.

Could you not route things to the desired WAN connection via ports alone? Or is sniffing traffic/packet analyis a must?

On a slightly different note, I had an idea for a box full of wireless cards, each one set to a different AP (manually or with some kinda automation), with load balancing sharing the connections out to the house via ethernet. Then just set it up in an area with unsercured wireless AP's. Illegal I know, but it would be interesting if it worked.

Could you not route things to the desired WAN connection via ports alone? Or is sniffing traffic/packet analyis a must?

On a slightly different note, I had an idea for a box full of wireless cards, each one set to a different AP (manually or with some kinda automation), with load balancing sharing the connections out to the house via ethernet. Then just set it up in an area with unsercured wireless AP's. Illegal I know, but it would be interesting if it worked.

That’s a cool idea.

In an enviroment when you have multiple routes to multiple WAN connections, how does the system route your traffic? I've noticed when I've had my laptop connected to my network via ethernet and wifi, and networked to my desktop with firewire (and ICS for some reason i've forgotten) its a bit haphazard about which connection it uses to get to the net.

I think some of you miss the point of what a default gateway is.

If you were to block the ports that your bittorrent was using on one of the WAN connections and then leave it open on the other then it would be forced use the other.

This is not how gateways work. The default gateway (to a operating system) is an IP address that you send all packets to that are address for an IP address that is not on your subnet. If i where to block the ports for bittorent on the only set default gateway, bittorrent would not start using the other gateway, it would just keep trying with the one I had blocked the ports on, this is why a second network connection is nessasery.

I suppose I could some how make use of some kind of software that created a vertual network connection, which is other is exacly the same as my real network connection, but the diffrance been it's ip address and it's gateway.

I think some of you miss the point of what a default gateway is.

I'm sorry, i'm using this definition of a gateway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_%28te...mmunications%29

Don't know which you are using.

In an enviroment when you have multiple routes to multiple WAN connections, how does the system route your traffic? I've noticed when I've had my laptop connected to my network via ethernet and wifi, and networked to my desktop with firewire (and ICS for some reason i've forgotten) its a bit haphazard about which connection it uses to get to the net.

Windows changes between them, I haven't seen it stick to one, or found where I can set up prefernces on which connection should be used if it is available. Not sure about Linux, I remember seeing something about selecting wired over all others somewhere.

Thats simple enough, and one of the options that I was talking about. Others are that you use different IP address, or you could use different interfaces on your router.