Monowall VS Smoothwall Which is better

TheZ

Which is better?  

27 members have voted

1. 1.

• MonoWall
    • SmoothWall

Monowall.

Download is only 5MB compared to Smoothwalls 40MB, you can run Monowall on a CF card with an IDE to CF adaptor, so you don't have to worry about hard drives, or running it off a CD.

I think a nicer web interface, and is excellent for older systems and embedded hardware.

Another advantage is that Monowall has a sister project called pfSense, which is a bit bigger and needs a slightly more powerful computer but offers a few more interesting features like WAN teaming.

Its also rock stable, i've had smoothwall boxes and have been reseting them every other day almost and now I never turn Monowall off.

I like Monowall over Smoothwall but I don’t use them on a day to day base as they don’t handle huge amounts of data as well as purpose built devices that are designed for large corporations.

i never used monowall but maybe now i will try because my smoothwall disconnects from the internet too many times...

I've never had that problem before and I've never had to restart my smoothwall.

:?: can you use both?

GHRYGGZ do you know what are you talking about???

i never used monowall but maybe now i will try because my smoothwall disconnects from the internet too many times...

I've never had that problem before and I've never had to restart my smoothwall.

:?: can you use both?

GHRYGGZ do you know what are you talking about???

no thats why it was a :?: question

hardware firewall....

i understood that i meant lile have one firewall pugged into another firewall.

would that be effective or just bogg down the internet connection without justified security improvement.

seriously i wouldn't mind loosing a Mb/s or two on my 4.66 Mb/s connection (at peak hours, tested and confirmed by many programs, i live close to the cable hub) if it improved my security.

You shouldn't see any loss in performance with using multiple hardware firewalls, if they are running on decent hardware and are properly configured.

By decent hardware, I mean reliable and minimum of 300Mhz, 64MB of RAM for most ADSL connections would be fine.

You could have two WAN connections, and then with some clever stuff you could have twice the speed and if one breaks then you are left with another. Although it would be pretty pointless to just have that just incase one breaks, and you probably wouldn't want to be running two different systems.

is there any way to hook two modems into one hub? just wondering

NOO!!

We don't use hubs now, we use switches.

You need your router to be able to send traffic through both, recieve traffic through both, and split and assemble the traffic. Plus you need a very nice ISP that will allow you to do it. And ususlly some very expensive modems.

NOO!!

We don't use hubs now, we use switches.

You need your router to be able to send traffic through both, recieve traffic through both, and split and assemble the traffic. Plus you need a very nice ISP that will allow you to do it. And ususlly some very expensive modems.

sorry meant to say router

Yup, its called load balancing, google it. Long story short, you buy 2 cable connections to your house from your ISP, then have 2 WAN ports in your routing device (Win2K3 can do this, so linux/BSD must be able to). You then basically use the 2 internet connections as one.

http://www.ezlan.net/loadbalance.html

I sware this (for dialup modems) was supposed to be a feature of win98)

Anyway seems like there are 2 different ways of doing it:

1. Combining Bandwidth.

2. Load Balancing two connections.

Let assume that you have two 3Mb/sec. connections each capable to download at 300KB/sec.

With Combined Bandwidth you should be able to download one file at 600KB/sec.

With Load Balancing one single file will not exceed download speed of 300KB/sec. However you can download 2 files at 300KB/sec. or 4 files at 150KB/sec. etc.

If you do have two independent services you can achieve Load Balancing by using a Dual WAN Router. Hawking Tech., and others make few models including Wireless.

Not bad :) Compusa $62

http://www.edimax.com/html/english/products/list-router.htm

While effectivly having a double speed internet connection wiht load balancing, personaly I would prefer keeping my two connections seperate. I would use one for hosting crap (servers and bittorrent) while using the other for my general Internetness and gaming. The problem of course with this is windows doesn;t support multiple gateways on one connection. So I would probably have to get a second LAN card to simpley beable to use diffrent software with diffrent gateways.

While effectivly having a double speed internet connection wiht load balancing, personaly I would prefer keeping my two connections seperate. I would use one for hosting crap (servers and bittorrent) while using the other for my general Internetness and gaming. The problem of course with this is windows doesn;t support multiple gateways on one connection. So I would probably have to get a second LAN card to simpley beable to use diffrent software with diffrent gateways.

You can use one gateway, just have it set up that all traffic from your servers goes through one connection and all traffic from your workstations goes through another.

No, i mean, what if I want to run bittorrent on my computer, but at the same time I want to play CSS? I have to use multipule gateways simultainusly. Windows cannot handle multipule gateways on one network connection, hence forth another network connection is nessasery. Then i simply bind counter strike to one IP address and bittorrent to the other.