Extending Wireless Router's Network Signal using WAP

hapster

Hello. I've recently acquired a wireless router and plan to extend the signal of my network to other places in the vicinity. I was wondering if it was possible to do this extension using a wireless access point. If so, how should I configure both devices so that the router is the one hooked with the modem and the access point connects to the network created by the wireless router and extends the signal?

*I'm using Ubuntu to configure my wireless devices.

Thanks in advance.:)

Hello. I've recently acquired a wireless router and plan to extend the signal of my network to other places in the vicinity. I was wondering if it was possible to do this extension using a wireless access point. If so, how should I configure both devices so that the router is the one hooked with the modem and the access point connects to the network created by the wireless router and extends the signal?

*I'm using Ubuntu to configure my wireless devices.

Thanks in advance.:)

Is it compatible with DD-WRT or OpenWRT? Which chipset if so?

the easiest and more reliable way to 'extend a wireless network' is to plug an Ethernet cable in to a switch the existing wireless network is connected to, then plug another access point in to the other end of the cable. You have successfully extended the networks wireless coverage.

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do. As someone has pointed out, you can simply run a long network cable off your router or switch and then plug this into your AP and then you'll have wireless around the AP. Depending on the model of both Wireless AP's/Routers you could bridge them and add a switch each end so that you have extended your network. Otherwise can't you look at changing the ariels on the router? It might be worth while just buying a good class AP in the first place (like a Cisco Aironet - I use 3 1130AG's and I get full coverage of our whole factory)

the easiest and more reliable way to 'extend a wireless network' is to plug an Ethernet cable in to a switch the existing wireless network is connected to, then plug another access point in to the other end of the cable. You have successfully extended the networks wireless coverage.

To avoid the hassle of running cables you can use Ethernet over Power modules. You can loose some of the bandwidth compared to dedicated cabling, but as long as you get good quality modules you shouldn't loose too much.

Other than the convenience of using Ethernet over Power you also get to avoid the argument with your other half about why you have spent the entire day ripping up carpets, fitting trunking or trailing cables over the house. In my experience this argument will normally start when you are drilling holes through walls to poke the cable through. And before you try it, the argument of "If you let me fit the false floor when we moved in, we wouldn't have had to do this." doesn't work it just makes the argument worse.

It doesn't look like the WRT320N is supported by DD-WRT just yet. Although, looking at the specs of that router i see that the processor really fast! Also supports dual band, not bad.

I'm very happy with my WRT54G and WRT300N routers after flashing them with DD-WRT. You could totally bridge them together to extend your wireless reach.

I also read that the someone with a JTAG recently submitted the CFE dump to the CFE Collection Project last month. It's a only a matter of time before we will have a supported firmware to flash these puppies with.

Check here for supported DD-WRT hardware:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html

Doesn't the stock linksys firmware support repeaters? This is really what the op wants.

Not that im aware of. Don't you think if my Linksys supported repeating i wouldn't have had to flash it to DD-WRT? <_<

Plus im completely happy with all the added features and stability that the DD-WRT firmware gave me. Looking back at the original firmware makes it seem so archaic. :lol: