Wirelessly saving data to a hidden device

Dr Gonzo

I can't quite think of what hardware options are open to me for this:

I am developing a security system, currently when motion is detected, video will be saved from IP cameras to a computer. My aim is to also store this data to a hidden device somewhere.

I plan on hiding the device inside something insignificant, like a bedside clock or a cheap stereo, that way I can power it easily.

HD can be very small, even storage to flash drive would be fine. I'm just not sure how to go about doing this. The device needs to be wireless obviously.

Would it be possible to rig a phone/palm pilot or similar device to do this?

I know a little shuttle box running freeNAS could do this, but that is seriously too expensive.

I can't quite think of what hardware options are open to me for this:

I am developing a security system, currently when motion is detected, video will be saved from IP cameras to a computer. My aim is to also store this data to a hidden device somewhere.

I plan on hiding the device inside something insignificant, like a bedside clock or a cheap stereo, that way I can power it easily.

HD can be very small, even storage to flash drive would be fine. I'm just not sure how to go about doing this. The device needs to be wireless obviously.

Would it be possible to rig a phone/palm pilot or similar device to do this?

I know a little shuttle box running freeNAS could do this, but that is seriously too expensive.

Do you already have a wireless network running? I'm thinking a cheap (craigslist, fleabay, donation) laptop would work pretty good for this.

Do you already have a wireless network running? I'm thinking a cheap (craigslist, fleabay, donation) laptop would work pretty good for this.

The network is already running, I just need a wireless storage medium.

I guess a laptop would do, but anything that's cheap will be pretty big. Remember, I have to hide this thing in plain sight.

Was hoping to find a hacked portable device that can run freeNAS no luck so far though.

What about a Fonera 2.0?

It's got USB for the camera and wifi. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to write some scripts....

Oh, I found it somewhat interesting that even Sam's Club has hidden cameras now. This one has a built in DVR

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate....p;ci_sku=882259

My problem exists with the storage of the feed. Currently, when motion is detected, the feed is saved to my laptop. Pretty pointless though, considering that it will be one of the first items stolen. To remedy this, I intend to store the data on a device hidden in the house somewhere.

Would I be able to use a FON for this purpose, if I added on a decent sized USB HD for additional storage?

Ok, I looked at doing this a few years ago. Linksys make an IP camera, hook the wireless camera upto your network and then configure it to save the videos to an FTP server, then you don't need an "in house" storage device. Otherwise put a Server or NAS in your loft or something.

Ok, I looked at doing this a few years ago. Linksys make an IP camera, hook the wireless camera upto your network and then configure it to save the videos to an FTP server, then you don't need an "in house" storage device. Otherwise put a Server or NAS in your loft or something.

Righto. Did the Linksys IP camera come with pre-installed software that permitted the uploading to an FTP server, or did you write some code yourself?

I want to create my own little piece of software to do this, just wondering how you went about doing it.

[EDIT]

I'm using winSCP portable for the automatic FTP uploads. Excellent piece of software, open source too. I would like to write my own stripped down version though, nothing but an automated login and automatic FTP uploads.

Thanks.

//

What about (as suggested previously) a Fonera 2.0 but use the USB port to host a USB Flash Drive, or USB hard disk?

I've been wanting a Fonera since I first saw the pineapple, I think I'll buy one now, they just started shipping to Europe. Any ideas on how I would go about automatically sending files to it?

What I intend to do is, as soon as the video files are saved to the main computer, they will be uploaded to FTP and also saved to the Fonera. Need to automate this whole process.

Righto. Did the Linksys IP camera come with pre-installed software that permitted the uploading to an FTP server, or did you write some code yourself?

I want to create my own little piece of software to do this, just wondering how you went about doing it.

[EDIT]

I'm using winSCP portable for the automatic FTP uploads. Excellent piece of software, open source too. I would like to write my own stripped down version though, nothing but an automated login and automatic FTP uploads.

Thanks.

//

I've been wanting a Fonera since I first saw the pineapple, I think I'll buy one now, they just started shipping to Europe. Any ideas on how I would go about automatically sending files to it?

What I intend to do is, as soon as the video files are saved to the main computer, they will be uploaded to FTP and also saved to the Fonera. Need to automate this whole process.

The linksys cameras have a built in web server. The ftp functionality is built in. The only problem I have with the linksys camera is you need to use windows to see the feed, it's active x based. I had a dlink web cam mounted to my tv antenna that streamed normal jpeg images. It sat up there for a couple years until I accidentally plugged in the wrong power injector. I still haven't replaced that setup... Depending on the camera, you should be able to send the files straight to the fon.