Home Network

StarchyPizza

Okay so now that I have free time (track ended and football isn't that crazy yet) I want to fine tune my home network.

Here is how it looks now.

Modem>Router

>Desktop

))Laptop and Xbox

I would like to use my desktop as a home server type of thing, while being a full functioning computer.

So I would like some suggestion of what type of software I should look into, and different types of things to do.

I am probably going to look into Movie/Video streaming, Music streaming, and Pictures. Just to learn the basics, which I can handle myself. But what I am asking is the more advanced stuff, I know you can't do too much on windows but I'm sure there is something worth learning. I would love to do the Linux thing but my family isn't tech savy so they wouldn't know how to work Linux at all. So keep the suggestions to Windows please.

I'm having a problem on the same topic so instead of making a new thread im just gonna ask it here. I am setting up a home network with vista. And i would like to know how to get to the files on other computers in my house from my laptop, everything is on the same router but my laptop is the only thing that is wireless. I just need to get to the files on them from my laptop without plugging anything in. Much help would be appreciated thanks.

Thank you. But how do you get to those public documents on another computer?

i'm assuming that you already have them on the same workgroup. they way i do it is i create a share on all the computers that i want to have access to. for instance i like to keep the pictures and documents folders on my computers synced plus on occasion i need to access other stuff so for vista what i did was went to computer right clicked on the users folder and i enabled sharing, this will in turn enable sharing for all the sub folders, you can change the security permissions to allow anyone to read or right to that folder and it's sub folders or you can leave it so only the person who's user account it is so they would need a password to access their files. in xp its pretty much the same procedure except if you don't have xp pro you can't configure folder permissions so everyone will have access to the shared files

I'm actually in the middle of doing that know. I'm transferring files from a Vista desktop to an XP laptop which isn't working to great haha.

Both vista and xp have a wizards that's supposed to help with this but i have never tried it. i usually do it manually or i use synctoy. another relatively easy way to go is to use live mesh. i use this to sync documents and pictures on all my computers. it takes all of the networking headache out of the equation

I tried using the wizards and they didn't help me. I think it's because I'm using a "modified" version of XP that isn't letting me do what I want. But I just finished backing up my files and im going to reformat my machine and dual boot a form of Linux and Windows, I don't know what yet though

The easiest way to access network PC storage volumes is mounting network storage at the root level. Something like \\home-desktop\C$.

I'm really not sure why you want to setup this server. If you have no real goal or purpose it is utterly useless. If you are going to do anything at least setup a web server(always fun to experiment with).