What is using my badwidth???

silentknight329

So i'm using windows XP Pro there is some program that is using all my badwith... i'm downloading a file at 120/kbps average, but on the router it says i'm taking up 1.5 mb... there is something wrong... it isn't spyware cause i have done many scans w/ kaspersky and malware bytes anti malware... is there a program that tells me what program is using what bandwith?

Thanks

~Silent

So i'm using windows XP Pro there is some program that is using all my badwith... i'm downloading a file at 120/kbps average, but on the router it says i'm taking up 1.5 mb... there is something wrong... it isn't spyware cause i have done many scans w/ kaspersky and malware bytes anti malware... is there a program that tells me what program is using what bandwith?

Thanks

~Silent

Wireless router? How ar eyou measuring it, on the router itself? Either someone else is on the router, or you are looking at all traffic(Up and Down together) on the router itself. Does the router have a log that shows connections and traffic?

http://www.mediaroad.com/products/speedche...s/unit_convert/

1 Mbps =1000 Kbps =0.125 MB/sec = 125 KB/sec so 120/kbps average converted is

=0.12 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]
=120 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
=0.015 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
=15 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]

Run wireshark and don't surf, just let it log the traffic on your PC (To see if there is anything when your not using it) and see what you get. If you see lots of stuff going back and forth and your not using the connection(ex: web browser, torrent, etc)chances are its malaware. If you see nothing but the router is still reporting bandwidth in use, maybe someone is using yoru routers connection.

You could be getting hit with some sort of flood of packets, which in most cases the router should be dropping and not even dealing with them though.

its not the whole router connection that is being used it measures how much badwidth each computer is using, and mine was 1.5 mbps the only program that i am using that appears to be using bandwidth is firefox.. i'll use wireshark and see what happens

edit: it measures down and up and what i am telling you is down.. the upload is around 20 kbps..

badwidth

*wince*

Hey Silent knight.

Head over to http://www.speedtest.net/ and let us know what speed you are getting.

I have a 1.5mb connection to my isp but usually get around 1.3mb. all depends on what time of day it is.Make sure nothing except your browser is running.

It may also be that you are confusing bits and Bytes. On a 1.5mBIT connection you will download at a max of about 160mBYTES (this is observed max - havent done the maths).

*wince*

yah i realized i spelled it wrong after i posted lol my bad...

There is this thing called overhead. Though that would be allot of overhead even if 120kbps is actual 120KBps and thus is 960kbps.

Wireshark ftw.

that was my problem i was measuring in two different things

Hey Silent knight.

Head over to http://www.speedtest.net/ and let us know what speed you are getting.

I have a 1.5mb connection to my isp but usually get around 1.3mb. all depends on what time of day it is.Make sure nothing except your browser is running.

It may also be that you are confusing bits and Bytes. On a 1.5mBIT connection you will download at a max of about 160mBYTES (this is observed max - havent done the maths).

443660905.png

There you go and my isp isnt Westman it is RFNow...

thanks all problem solved.. it wasnt programs it was human error.

~silent