botched up u3 drive , cant format

DLSS

ok so a guy at school botched up his 8GB sandisk cruzer.

after i explained how truecrypt worked mr numbnuts decided he wanted to try it on his cruzer.

wich still had u3 active on it and useing the password protection (he had the pass enterend, but having it active i assume is part of the prob)

then he proceeded by instead of creating a tc file creating a volume of the drive.

now the data partition wont detect under windows or linux, the u3 deinstaller wont work cos it cant find the u3launcher. and formatting wont work ...

and even mounting it with truecrypt wont work: (error: incorrect volume size)

ok so a guy at school botched up his 8GB sandisk cruzer.

after i explained how truecrypt worked mr numbnuts decided he wanted to try it on his cruzer.

wich still had u3 active on it and useing the password protection (he had the pass enterend, but having it active i assume is part of the prob)

then he proceeded by instead of creating a tc file creating a volume of the drive.

now the data partition wont detect under windows or linux, the u3 deinstaller wont work cos it cant find the u3launcher. and formatting wont work ...

and even mounting it with truecrypt wont work: (error: incorrect volume size)

What happens when you plug it in? Does it recognize any device at all? If you get the error incorrect volume size, that means at least something is recognizable(er it would seem it sees the device at least). Try creating another true crypt volume on it and see if you can overwrite or blow out the corrupted one. Then see if you can mount the drive. I would then try the "permanently decrypt volume/drive" option and see if you can turn it back into a regular drive.

What happens when you plug it in? Does it recognize any device at all? If you get the error incorrect volume size, that means at least something is recognizable(er it owudl sem it sees the device at least). Try creating another true crypt volume on it and see if you can overwrite or blow out the corrupted one. Then see if you can mount the drive. I would then try the "permanently decrypt volume/drive" option and see if you can turn it back into a regular drive.

well u can see teh data partition in my computer, when you try and open it it askes you to insert disk into the drive ...

the cd partition is visible buth in my computer and diskmgmt.msc but the data partition isnt visible in diskmgmt.msc ....

creating a new tc volume over it wont work and gives an error (as it also doesnt seem to see the partition)

i assime fdisk would give me the same result as diskmgmt.msc

Grammar_Nazi_Logo.jpg
SO MANY ERRORS! But I can for give that. Have you tried reformating it with GParted? Try erasing the flash partition(you cannot delete the U3).
You can also try to flip the bit and mount it as a hard drive instead of a removable drive to sort of force mount it so that you can format it.

really ? i see a few i must admit but all typo's (unless you mean me leaving the ' out (i do tht a lot :( )

jeah tried gparted, but it doesn't see it :(

flip the bit ? haven't got a clue what exactly you want me to do, but i'll open my hexeditor and wait for instructions :P

Have you tried running the LP-installer ?

Usually it can restore the drive to factory state but I have never tried on pw-locked U3-drive .

The U3 password locks access to the writeable part, IN HARDWARE ! , so it is quite possible you

will need to fix that first ..

NOTE : Do not flip the removable bit,

sandisk's tools expect the flash-device to be "removable" and will not work if you have made it a "fixed" disk .

Have you tried running the LP-installer ?

Usually it can restore the drive to factory state but I have never tried on pw-locked U3-drive .

The U3 password locks access to the writeable part, IN HARDWARE ! , so it is quite possible you

will need to fix that first ..

NOTE : Do not flip the removable bit,

sandisk's tools expect the flash-device to be "removable" and will not work if you have made it a "fixed" disk .

when i rooted my u3 partion on my toshiba i just used the u3 updater and it fixed it but i regret doing that now since i hate u3

didnt do the trick :(

Are the U3-files still on the CD-ROM ?

If they are, try running "LaunchU3.exe" from the CD..

If they are not, get the files :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

autorun.inf

LaunchPad.zip

LaunchU3.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

put them in a ISO, mount it in Deamon and run LaunchU3.exe .

Are the U3-files still on the CD-ROM ?

If they are, try running "LaunchU3.exe" from the CD..

If they are not, get the files :

autorun.inf

LaunchPad.zip

LaunchU3.exe

put them in a ISO, mount it in Deamon and run LaunchU3.exe .

that did the job :P

entered his passw , reformatted the partition , and reinstalled rest of u3

wish i could share that bottle of vodka i'm getting with you guys :D

that did the job :P

entered his passw , reformatted the partition , and reinstalled rest of u3

wish i could share that bottle of vodka i'm getting with you guys :D

That's okay, I'm a whisky-man :) ..

Besides, your problem gave me an idea !