charging my phone

pathfinder662

Hey guys, I have a g1 and it uses a mini usb charger. I was wondering. Do all chargers with the mini usb plug output the same voltage? My gps unit uses a miniusb and so does my old motorola phone. I am able to connect all 3 devices to my computer and they will charge, but is it safe to mix and match chargers?

Hey guys, I have a g1 and it uses a mini usb charger. I was wondering. Do all chargers with the mini usb plug output the same voltage? My gps unit uses a miniusb and so does my old motorola phone. I am able to connect all 3 devices to my computer and they will charge, but is it safe to mix and match chargers?

You should be ok, emphasis on should. Most USB devices require 5 volts for power, and most USB ports put out, you guessed it, 5 volts. I would be cautious though and stick with only the charging cable that the phone manufacturer provided. Some USB devices may only require 3 volts, and their chargers will have a resistor built into them that reduces the voltage to that, and if you provide too much voltage you may damage your phone. So my 2 cents, be careful!

Usually if its the same connector then "usually" you can charge the device. As janders223 said usb ports put out 5 volts and i believe 500mA. the mini usb is a real common plug usb hdd, razor phone etc. If its a really $$$ device then i would just go on ebay and find the correct charger for $5 or so, beats frying your gps, phone or whatever. Most of the time you can also look at the ratings on the wall charger. I once had a phone and two chargers. One charger was rated for 5v @ 500mA and the other 9v @ 750mA but they both connected to the phone just fine....needless to say i diffidently smelt some burning plastic on that one, and the phone go real hot.

Hope everything works out!!

USB is a standard, its 5v at up to 500ma. Nothing else.

If you get ANY voltage other than 5vdc from a USB port, then it's faulty. Therefore if a device can charge from the same port it uses for data transfer, then it wil be safe to connect this to any usb port with any cable.

i have a couple htc phones the htc touch diamond and the htc touch HD i usually use my old motorola chargers for them because the htc chargers that came with them has this stupid euro plug and i have to use the american adapter and it sticks out from the wall and falls out of the socket if you dont have it in just right, so i would say no, you shouldnt have any problems charging your htc g1 with a blackberry, moto, or any other standard usb phone charger. i havent encountered any problems yet.