Fons in the UK

I'm working on my second UK originated Fon, the first was an original Fon, this one is a Fon+. Both have redboot enabled but have an ip address of 0.0.0.0.

This means that getting into doesn't work with the standard redboot command I normally use but luckily my cable came to the rescue.

Just letting you all know this because if you are in the UK you may have trouble flashing your Fons.

I can access the console via a serial cable but cannot seem to interupt the boot process. I have tried ctrl+c but hyperterminal and secureCRT dont seem to be passing it to the unit. My cable is using all 4 connections rx tx gnd and power to the ttl to rs232 adapter. Any advice would be great.

I'm working on my second UK originated Fon, the first was an original Fon, this one is a Fon+. Both have redboot enabled but have an ip address of 0.0.0.0.

This means that getting into doesn't work with the standard redboot command I normally use but luckily my cable came to the rescue.

Just letting you all know this because if you are in the UK you may have trouble flashing your Fons.

Best option is to use linux and use the reboot.pl script, that handles it all for you. You start it up, power up the fon and the it drops you into a shell.

Something to watch for is that sometimes the fon won't boot if the ground is connected at power on, I set it start, give it a second, then add the ground line.

Is there a guide on how to flash using the serial cable as ive got my cable working via telnet. but unsure where to go next

This assumes that the fon is plugged into a wired port with IP 192.168.1.22, and that you have a working tftp server with the correct files in place.

Get redboot with the cable

ip_address -h 192.168.1.22

fis init

load -r -b %{FREEMEMLO} openwrt-atheros-2.6-vmlinux.lzma

fis create -e 0x80041000 -r 0x80041000 vmlinux.bin.l7

load -r -b %{FREEMEMLO} openwrt-atheros-2.6-root.squashfs

Now do

fis free

and check you get this back

0xA80F0000 .. 0xA87E0000

If not then calculate the difference between the two and substitute that number in the line below

fis create -l 0x6F0000 rootfs

That is it, now reboot with

reset

The telnet interface should come up by default, the device is on 192.168.1.1

telnet 192.168.1.1

Set the password, that will take down telnet and start ssh instead.