VortexBox for Windows?

Learnaseyego

I was just wondering if there was something out there that was like VortexBox, but for a Windows machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

There are a lot of media players that rip cds upon insertion, but none that work as the main OS Functionality. You could always run it in a VM though if you don't want to install it natively. Or get an old, original xbox and put it on there.

Wow...

Thanks for the link to the comparison table. That will be very helpful.

I have a computer just sitting around (more like 7 sitting around haha) and I was thinking about making a little project for myself and turning it into a music server, just for something to do.

Thanks

The best way to run VortexBox in widows is in a vmware session. But it's really designed to tun an old PC into a NAS. Run widows on your desktop then turn an old PC into a VortexBox. An old PC is way more powerful than the NAS boxes they are selling now and it's a lot cheaper. You don't need to know Linux to run VortexBox it's sets everything up for you. You can connect to it from your windows machine.

As a side note VortexBox does not run on XBOX although it makes a great backend server for XBOX Media Center (XBMC). Hope this helps!