MS Tags

gcninja

To any MS follower, or at least enthusiast you might know of the new MS Barcode reader for smart phones and the like. I found this out in order to download my Halo wars ring tone but its a great idea. You download a program that uses the camera to scan a SPECIAL barcode generated by MS. This can cause you to go to a url, in my case to download something from said url link, to open a txt file, to dial, or recieve a vCard. I find this facinatingly awesome. If you want to try this, use your smartphone and go to gettag.mobi and you download it for your version, many are supported. If you do this check this out

Making your own barcode? I wonder if there is a way to decode them on a pc?

well its generated on the MS website and so its their thing best of luck

What is the link where you found the image? gettag.mobi

Im gonna see if I can find a Microsoft CE emulator and run that TagReader program to open the image and see what happens.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

i made it myself but ms generated it. its a link.

are you looking for a pattern or something?

Just wanted to play aroudn with it. The WIndows CE 5.0 Emulator will not install the reader though. I even extracted and uplaoded the files to my site and downlaoded them onto the CE Emulator, and says they can't run, so I may have to find a newer emulator or something to fart around with it.

I think the CE 5.0 Emulator is too old to run it. I would probably need the CE 6.0 SDK for Visual Studio or something to mess around with it. I think the 6.0 also requires you to apply for an activation code of some sort. oh well, on to other things...

I think it would be neat to make your own and have some kind of game with it:

hccbnovel.jpg

Like print a bunch of them and have them around your office to make a scavenger hunt or something. Kind of like an indoor geocache without the need for GPS. Or, encode some GPS coordinates and only people with cell phones can find the geocaches real location. I can see pastign one in th mens room at work and seeing who can figure out what to do with it, leave a message for them to contact you if they figureed it out.

I tried to go the "make a tag" site, but I don't have a microsoft live id and I'm not going to waste my time sigining up just to mess with it. But it would be neat to have a program that can create and read jpeg barcodes like this without the need for a camera or scanner of any kind.