No network provider accepted the given network path

joeypesci

Going through some exchange training vids. Setup a new clean server 2003 install on VMWare (I have other server 2003 vmwares working fine). Attempting to get to a network share I get the following

"No network provider accepted the given network path"

IP is setup fine, DNS is pointing to the correct DNS. Still I can't work out why I can't get a connection on this VMWare box.

Tried it on my other machine that also has VMWare on. Did the same which it's never done before. Did a restart and seems fine now, but the other setup on the other machine (that has 1 server 2003 and 2 XP setups all working fine), just won't connect to the network and I get the above error.

Going through some exchange training vids. Setup a new clean server 2003 install on VMWare (I have other server 2003 vmwares working fine). Attempting to get to a network share I get the following

"No network provider accepted the given network path"

IP is setup fine, DNS is pointing to the correct DNS. Still I can't work out why I can't get a connection on this VMWare box.

Tried it on my other machine that also has VMWare on. Did the same which it's never done before. Did a restart and seems fine now, but the other setup on the other machine (that has 1 server 2003 and 2 XP setups all working fine), just won't connect to the network and I get the above error.

IP address conflicts? Is the adapter using NAT or Bridged connections, and is there enough addresses left by DHCP on the router? I have my router set to only allo w5 connected devices, so if I add a 6th decive, it can't talk to the network. Can this machine get online at all, like visit a web page successfully. If so then you must have overlooked some setting somewhere.

It's odd. I have version 6.0 of VMWare workstation on my other machine and it's working fine. The other version on the box where one VM is not working is verison 6.5

Now, the VM's that are working were setup on the 6.0 box and copied over and appear to be using a VMware accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter. Where as the other VM that is not working, was created on VMWare workstation 6.5 and has a network adapter called Intel Pro 1000 MT NEtwork Connection. They are all using a Bridged connection.

DHCP is turned off on my network and I'm on the 10.0.1.1 range (easier to type than 192). All VMs have static IPs and connect to the correct DNS which is the Endian firewall. All VMs are working fine with static IPs and all real machines are working fine. It's just this one VM that's not working. It has been given a static IP of 10.0.1.20. If I ping that IP from a working XP VM, I get a reply. I ping the working XP VM from the 10.0.1.20 (which is the one that is not working properly or where I'm getting the error), then it pings fine.

It's doing my nut in. I've never seen this error before, ever.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...5.mspx?mfr=true

Not sure if this will help. But I think maybe the network configuration on that one VM is not set up properly. You might have it set to Bridged, but have the nat adapter running and not the bridged adapter. Go into your VM Preference and look at the network adapter stuff. You might have something blocked or turned off in 6.5 that was normally on under the others.

In VMware, go to edit, then virtual network settings and go through each of the tabs to make sure nothing is out fo whack. You can also compare these settings to the working VM's and se eif ther eis anything different. If not, then its somehting in your Windows Server 2003 VM's settings(Not the host machine, although, that might be th eproblem as well), like the network connection settings.

Are all the services started on the HOST machine? Like VMware Authorization Service,VMware DHCP Service,VMware NAT Service and VMware Virtual Mount Manager Extended services?

Thanks a lot. I went to edit, virtual network editor and just flicking through decided to change VMNet0 Bridged to use the network card that's on the HOST machine instead of let it pick something itself. Then changed the VM to point to that VMNet0 as well. Now appears to be working fine. Still odd though, all the other VMs as you can see appear to use virtual network cards yet work fine.

EDIT-I've changed it back to just Bridged not custom in the VM properties and it's working fine still. So maybe it was that it hadn't set the network card up properly. It's weird though as on the HOST machine that has VMware 6, the VMNet0 is set to choose the adapter automatically and I don't get any issues. But on the HOST machine where it wasn't working, despite having the same setting it just refused to work.

I wonder if it's because on 6.5 it's just not choosing the correct adapter automatically properly.

Anyway, appears to work fine now so I can carry on with the training now :) thanks for everyone help.

Really strange. I've set 6.5 back to choose it automatically and it's now working fine still.

i have seen this error a few times when typing the computer name ( for example \\computername\) but using the ip address usually works around this. from what i can work out, it just takes your DNS server a while to pick it up. had the same problem just recently when we replaced a DC the other day.

this could be what the problem is. it would happen to a normal network as well as using vmware. you just have to wait sometimes :)

Me again :)

Right instead of starting a new thread thought I'd add to this as it's along the same lines.

I've started to go through some Trainsignal AD vids and enjoying it. Setup the test lab in VMWare, so I have a clean XP install and a clean Server 2003 install. I've copied the server install so I now have 2 clean server copies. All these are on a bridged network using my host PCs network card (I assume). XP connects to internet and network fine. Server 2003 copy A connects fine, set up DNS on it and turn it into a domain fine. All works fine. XP connects to the new domain, all works fine.

I then boot up server Copy B but it can't join the domain, can't surf the net and can't see my host network. All DNS, IP settings are fine. I shut down server A and server B (the not working one). I boot server B up but not server A and now server B can use the network fine. Boot server A up and now IT can't use the network.

I've been into edit, virtual network settings and had a play but no joy. I've even given server B a new sid using NewSID but no joy. I put the virtual network settings back to how they were when two of them worked, yet now only the XP one connects and the other two don't.

It's confusing. I was thinking maybe they can't all use the same network card at once. But that can't be right surely.

Any ideas?

I'm pulling my hair out. I can't for the life of me work out why two of the VMs work happyily. Then the 3rd one boots and no matter what, it just can't talk to the other two. IP address' are fine. If I put the 3rd one (server B ) it can't talk to the other two and they can't ping it. If I shut down server A and then reboot server B, I can then now ping server B and it can ping others.

I'm pulling my hair out. I can't for the life of me work out why two of the VMs work happyily. Then the 3rd one boots and no matter what, it just can't talk to the other two. IP address' are fine. If I put the 3rd one (server B ) it can't talk to the other two and they can't ping it. If I shut down server A and then reboot server B, I can then now ping server B and it can ping others.

Are these virtual machine sharing the same host computer? What are the MAC addresses assigned to these vm's? If two of them have the same MAC address, then there is going to be issues. Thats about all I can think of at the moment...

Yeah VMs on the same host.

XP1

server1

server11

XP1 is on

server 1 is on

They work fine, bridged, access the net etc.

server 11 is turned on, they can't talk to it and it can't talk to them or surf the net.

xp1

server1

Are clean installs.

server11 is a copy of server1 but I've changed it's IP settings, ran NewSID, still nothing.

I did copy it via explorer, so I'm trying a new approach and that is cloning it via VMWare workstation.

Are these virtual machine sharing the same host computer? What are the MAC addresses assigned to these vm's? If two of them have the same MAC address, then there is going to be issues. Thats about all I can think of at the moment...

:) :) :) :) looks like you were right, looks like it was a MAC address issue. I copied it from explorer and when it loads I told it I copied it, thought it would then change it but appears it doesn't. Not even removing the NIC changes it but cloning it from with VMWare seems to copy it and then change the MAC address.

Thanks for all the help :)