Cisco VPN and AOL

joeypesci

Does anyone use a cisco VPN client with AOL? We use cisco VPN at work but most people that use AOL at home, it doesn't appear to work with it. We looked into it and think it's AOL blocking it (which is weird considering AOL and cisco are in bed with each other). However, we get the odd user now and then that claims their VPN we've given them is working on AOL.

Like a user the other day claimed it had worked for 4 months and now isn't. She's a Director and was pretty pissed off, but what does she expect me to do, I can't demand AOL sort themselves out. I tested it in the office on our BT broadband line and it worked fine, so it was clearly her home broadband causing the issue.

Does anyone use a cisco VPN client with AOL? We use cisco VPN at work but most people that use AOL at home, it doesn't appear to work with it. We looked into it and think it's AOL blocking it (which is weird considering AOL and cisco are in bed with each other). However, we get the odd user now and then that claims their VPN we've given them is working on AOL.

Like a user the other day claimed it had worked for 4 months and now isn't. She's a Director and was pretty pissed off, but what does she expect me to do, I can't demand AOL sort themselves out. I tested it in the office on our BT broadband line and it worked fine, so it was clearly her home broadband causing the issue.

It could be there craptastic crapola crapware they claim is software. If you can find a user that uses a router and AOL to connect on the internet, get them to remove the AOHell's crapware. Make sure they understand they never needed it in the first place and optionally that it probably made there computer run slower any way.

The AOHell software does BS things like disconnect you if it thinks you arn't using the internet. It determines this by monitoring the AOL browser for activity. FAIL!

(Does this post seem bias to any one else?)

How far have you taken the analysis? You know it's some thing to do with AOHell, but have you determind at what point in the setting up of the VPN it fails?

That is to say, does the client send the request and the server never gets it, or is it that the server sends the response but the client never gets it?

It's either going to be AOHell's crapware or AOhells transparent proxies that brakes it most likely.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry forgot I posted this :)

Don't think the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately I don't work in the Infrastructure department so could only log a call for them to investigate. However, it wouldn't be their priority so they'd take ages to bother to look at it. I could even raise a call with the technical team (i'm just 2nd line desktop support) but again, they'll just take ages and either brush it off or never give me an answer even if they find one, they'll expect me to mind read them.

Some people have had it working but I think one person that did, did mention she wasn't using AOL's software so it could be that.

I believe it fails as soon as they double clink the link to our server in VPN, they never get a request back to put in their user name etc. I think they get a 403 error back from the cisco client.

I'm dealing with pretty much the same issue at work today ironically. Do they have IPSec passthrough switched on or even supported on their routers?

Erm, haven't a clue, sorry. A deal in our company is "We don't support home kit". So we just ask "Are you on AOL?" they say yes, we then just warn them it may not work.

Does the cisco vpn care if its UDP vs TCP? I haven't used AOL in years, but last time I checked AOL does not offfer broad band as far as I know. They allow you to connect to their network with the AOL software over any already conencted broad band connection, but their service offers UDP for dial up, and TCP for already connected users using a seperate ISP service, ie: comcast as the cable provider, AOL over the cable connection using TCP.

Now, this may not be true today, but I haven't used AOL for about 8-10 years now.

Does the cisco vpn care if its UDP vs TCP? I haven't used AOL in years, but last time I checked AOL does not offfer broad band as far as I know. They allow you to connect to their network with the AOL software over any already conencted broad band connection, but their service offers UDP for dial up, and TCP for already connected users using a seperate ISP service, ie: comcast as the cable provider, AOL over the cable connection using TCP.

Now, this may not be true today, but I haven't used AOL for about 8-10 years now.

AOL have been doing broadband for years now. But they are still shit.