Episode 4x19 GPU MD5 Bruteforce Top Speed

Somken

I just finished 4x19 and I wondered, can I brute force 1 billion Md5s a sec.

Well, after 6 Test and a few BSODs (Didn't have CPU voltage right) I did it.

Screenshot: http://somken.com/images/md5_crack1billion.jpg

I took the screenshot right after I hit the 1 billion mark so the GPU and CPU temps are how they where in the test.

My tests: http://somken.com/images/md5_crack1billion_fulltest.jpg

Now, what can your computer do?

CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 @ 2.4ghz

GPU: 2x 8800GT SLIed (disabled for test. Faster that way) [725/1100/1800 for test]

RAM: 4gb DDR2 800mhz

Mobo: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

Has anyone been able to get to the site? I can't seem to connect to it, and a whois only has one registrar that can see it, and its in Russia. OpenDNS and Comcast can't connect to the site.

http://3.14.by/

im wondering if im doing anything wrong but it would'nt break the md5 I threw at it (and all lower case no numbers or symbols)

ill show a screenpic in a min.

nevermind, the site i got the hash from must have been jank, just did it with the same word 'black' within a second but that was also setting it to the proper amount of characters.

also though, it's crazy what the difference in quadcores and coolguy video cards make..

Im getting a miniscule 146 MHash/sec, spiking at 147 MHash/sec.

but then I have a dualcore athlonx2 and a single nvidia 8600gts, hell the funny thing is is that the gpu is running multiples of M/hashes/sec faster than the processor, but then also nothing is overclocked except the video card and it's only lightly overclocked from the factory, i just figured it would keep it this way since it does what I need it to for the moment.

Well, everyone can connect, 1.5k visitors yesterday

Try to add this to hosts 83.149.87.200 for this domain

Hmm... something strange, No dns for 14.by , but still works for 3.14.by :-S

Should be temporary root dns issues...

I tried a whois for it and nothing works except for the russian whois site. I wonder whats up with OpenDNS lately. They seem to be blocking a lot of site and I think its not so much a root.dns cache issue as much as it is OpenDNS policing the internet.

WEB: No compatible whois server exists for this domain.

Please try http://www.tld.by/indexeng.html

for more information.

See also http://www.IANA.org/root-whois/by.htm

The only info I can get is when I go to http://www.tld.by/indexeng.html I can see that the site has been regsitered, but thats about it.

Just to test, I tried connecting to piratebay.org and I can't even reach their site while using OpenDNS. Never had that problem before. I am suspicious that it might be Comcast doing the blocking, but I can't prove either OpenDNS or Comcast are at fault here.

edit: I set up an SSH tunnel with one of my sites, and I am able to get to it. OpenDNS and Comcast both seem to be blocking the site.

Sadly most Unix/Linux passwords are hashed with MD5 unless you specify otherwise. There's the whole "shadow password" technique.

This is why I refuse to use OpenDNS, i do not want some unknown 3rd party deciding what I can and cannot resolve. The whole setup is useless.

And who's to say your ISP doesn't already do this, if not worse? OpenDNS is generally ethical about what it blocks, usually only warning you that what you're about to visit is malicious content. And that's not even the real point to OpenDNS, OpenDNS is a free service that delivers fast hostname lookups without having to query 8 domain servers down the line.

.by is a national domain for Republic of Belarus (near Russia).

Local policy says that you can WHOIS only if owner of domain wrote a paper request to enable that.

I was too lazy to do that, so my info is hidden.

Last night even I was not able DNS 14.by, but now it's ok.

You are the first complaining about that among 1000s coming to the site, so I am assuming that I am not yet blocked (and actually do not see any reason to) :-)

I can now reach the site via OpenDNS, but still not via comcast DNS, so maybe their cache needs updating. They coudl ahve been patching their systems for that new BIND dns issue, so maybe that takes into account some of th reason I couldn't get to it yesterday. I'll check it again in the next 24 hours and see what happens with Comcast, but I think the issue is probably only a temporary one.

And who's to say your ISP doesn't already do this, if not worse? OpenDNS is generally ethical about what it blocks, usually only warning you that what you're about to visit is malicious content. And that's not even the real point to OpenDNS, OpenDNS is a free service that delivers fast hostname lookups without having to query 8 domain servers down the line.

They do, so I run my own DNS server which talks to the root servers.

I run my own DNS server which talks to the root servers.

Just curious, but how hard is it to set that up at home? I know nothing about it, but I think that would be good info to have. Especially for a job. Might make for a good segment as well.

Just curious, but how hard is it to set that up at home? I know nothing about it, but I think that would be good info to have. Especially for a job. Might make for a good segment as well.

sudo aptitude install bind9

sudo aptitude install bind9

And for those of us without *nix systems. Not everyone is using linux, or aptitude for package management, although that is probably the easiest way to install it. What about configurations and how do you talk to the root DNS servers, or does Bind just do everything for you?? Looks like some google-fu is in order...hmm.