Macworld 09

nullArray

DRM Free iTunes

• Tiered pricing, .69¢, .99¢, $1.29
  • 3G iPhone downloading capability (I LOVE Apple/AT&T's abandonment of my iPhone Classic)

iWork '09

• Math equations in Pages
  • Mail merge with Numbers
  • New effects, themes and stuff
  • Keynote app in the App Store, views presenter notes, previews next slides and stuff, controls your keynote
  • iWork is in the cloud, much like Google Docs only much prettier and useful
  • Tons of other updates to Pages and Keynote, Numbers got some new graphing tools.......,

iLife '09

• iPhoto has facial recognition and geotagging
  • iMovie can actually edit movies with some sort of precision (RIP iMovie HD), it also cool new transitions and camera stabilization effects that are apparently amazing
  • Garageband can have Sting teach you how to play guitar or something..., other artists too
  • iWeb can tell your Facebook friends when you update (whoo...., hooo...)
  • My guess is that there are new themes for iWeb and iDVD, but I couldn't find anything concrete

I'm pretty sure there's also an iLife 09/iWork 09 combo upgrade pack to save money when buying both together.

MacBook Pro 17

• HUGE BATTERY*
  • $50 Matte option
  • Higher contrast ratio and viewing angle
  • Pretty much the same as the 15

*(not user replaceable)

--------------------------------------------------------------

For me, *yawn*. I saw the new iLife and iWork from a mile away, even the online web app iWork (but I didn't except them to charge for it, I thought it'd be bundled with MobileMe).

Honestly I was hoping for an updated Mac Mini, that little thing is dying for a bump.

The iTunes DRM stuff should have been here ages ago. Record labels are pissed that iTunes is the number one music retailer, and don't like it when they get to set the price. At least that's what I've been told, which is why they made all those fabulous deals with Amazon. The labels finally got halfway..., they get tiered pricing, Apple gets DRM stuff. Either way, I'm glad it happened..., and I'd LOVE to see a subscription based music too..., but that's just not Apple's gig.

/discuss

I can honestly see apple eventually ditching the actual computer side of the business and cornering the market on high-end MID devices. Its all they seem to focus on. I can see them eventually coming up with a small tablet/large iPhone that can be plugged into a HDTV set and turn it into a computer.

But, laptop with a non-replaceable battery? WTF? I look after hundreds of Dells and battery's are the first things to go. Some of our sales people kill them in 9 months. I've got a old Dell X300 laptop that works perfectly, but has a dead battery. £30 and its right again. Who in their right mind would spend money on a laptop that needs to be RTB for a battery swap?

I love how everyone is so very against "non-user replaceable" laptop batteries.

Given that there are now more laptops shipping than desktops, because the price is right and people are enjoying the extra bit of freedom that they receive, I'd be very interested to know how many of them own two batteries for their laptop and actually require them. Now when the battery degrades enough to warrant a change whats the big hassle of quickly popping into the shop where they will do it for you and dispose of the old battery in a nice fashion.

I'm also pretty sure that "non-user replaceable" is in the same sense as upgrading the memory and hard-drive is "non-user replaceable", in that you could do it in about 10 minutes maximum.

If they battery lasts longer in charge and cycles and the small sacrifice is that I can't change my battery with a couple of clicks and will require removing a couple of screws first then I'm happy.

As for the rest of the MacWorld, pretty run of the mill, Apple are obviously trying to become more like other hardware manufactures, having their own press releases which they can give as much warning as they want before and stop people waiting for the Expos and also start shipping their products about a month after announcement. It was nice they way they did it before, but I'm really not that bothered.

The battery is replaceable, but it doesn't pop out like the other ones. A genius will do it for free, but you gotta buy the battery. The whole computer doesn't need to be scrapped when the battery goes, I shoulda made that distinction. The trade off for the battery nonsense is that it was specially developed and is 40% larger or something. Apple says it'll last 8 hours doing some websurfing and stuff.

I've been told the replacement about as difficult as changing a MacBook hard drive if one really wanted to do it themselves.

The MID (iPhone) idea is what they are focusing on because it made them like 70% of their income. They'd never drop computers altogether, though.

For a high end consumer electronics device, i will grudgingly admit that its a non-issue. But for someone who uses latitudes where everything is modular it is an issue for me. I'm surprised there is no mini update or word on a netbook/tablet device, the former is due an update or some kinda appletv fusion to become a consumer htpc and you just know apple could make a good MID/net-tablet.

I love how everyone is so very against "non-user replaceable" laptop batteries.

Given that there are now more laptops shipping than desktops, because the price is right and people are enjoying the extra bit of freedom that they receive, I'd be very interested to know how many of them own two batteries for their laptop and actually require them. Now when the battery degrades enough to warrant a change whats the big hassle of quickly popping into the shop where they will do it for you and dispose of the old battery in a nice fashion.

I'm also pretty sure that "non-user replaceable" is in the same sense as upgrading the memory and hard-drive is "non-user replaceable", in that you could do it in about 10 minutes maximum.

If they battery lasts longer in charge and cycles and the small sacrifice is that I can't change my battery with a couple of clicks and will require removing a couple of screws first then I'm happy.

As for the rest of the MacWorld, pretty run of the mill, Apple are obviously trying to become more like other hardware manufactures, having their own press releases which they can give as much warning as they want before and stop people waiting for the Expos and also start shipping their products about a month after announcement. It was nice they way they did it before, but I'm really not that bothered.

You're totally right with everything. The battery has enough charge cycles to last 5 years I heard, like the same technology they use in the XO.

The one thing I was hoping to hear, updated AppleTV, didn't happen. The updates to iPhoto are nifty, and might make me upload pictures to my flickr account more often, but not that big of a deal as there are a number of Mac applications that will handle it. The ability for facebook users to tag others in my posted photos and have it push back to iPhoto is cool, but I don't put that many pictures up on facebook... and most of my pictures don't have people in them.

Longer lasting battery in the 17" MB Pro is neat, but how about just releasing a battery with those specs for the existing MB line. Sure I can get about 4 hours or so out of my 13" unibody MB, but a few extra hours would be nifty.

I was just really hoping for a AppleTV with a few more horses under the hood so boxee could get Netflix working on it. Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep hoping that Sony puts Netflix on the PS3, or that Apple fixes the random loss of video issue with the mini display to VGA adapter.

The extra power comes from the fact that it's massive, however, it's good for 1000 charge cycles, which I'd LOVE to see in the other MacBooks.

I don't think Sony will ever have Netflix on the PS3..., I think Microsoft paid a lot of money for that exclusivity.

I don't think Sony will ever have Netflix on the PS3..., I think Microsoft paid a lot of money for that exclusivity.

Don't know if they paid for exclusivity, though I suppose it wouldn't surprise me all that much. I've been thinking about getting a Series 3 TiVo, so that would deal with it... though perhaps an linux build that can do Netflix released for the PS3. Maybe a custom boxee build for the PS3. *ponder*

lols, a non-user replacable battery. Ill have to remember that next time someone comes to me with a macbook, ill be like:

'yah, no way to fix it and the battery costs more than the laptop, but ill tell you what, if you give it to me ill see if i can do something with it ;) '

most of us knows what it is like to have to be moral bastards and pass up really good free hardware just because something doesnt work properly, and the person jst wants to trash it

lols, a non-user replacable battery. Ill have to remember that next time someone comes to me with a macbook, ill be like:

'yah, no way to fix it and the battery costs more than the laptop, but ill tell you what, if you give it to me ill see if i can do something with it ;) '

most of us knows what it is like to have to be moral bastards and pass up really good free hardware just because something doesnt work properly, and the person jst wants to trash it

Well, only the Air and 17 MBP have non user replaceable batteries.

Also, the 17 MBP battery lasts 5 years instead of 1, so you'll get your free outdated notebook five years from now.

I hope future you enjoys it!

Don't think thats going to happen much. From my experience Mac users fit into one of two categories, computer professionals that know computers, or people who know pretty much nothing, and those people will just walk straight back into an Apple store where they aren't going to told false information or be sold something necessary. At least listening to an Mac sales pitch doesn't make me cringe like a PCWorld one, were I end up correcting them.