small business data center

Ryan

hi,

i been tasked with setting up a data center for a small business. i've never done it before but i know enough that i can pull it off but i do have some questions. for instance security, i will use Pfsense as the firewall/router but i am not sure if i should use a software based firewall on the work stations or should i just use the windows firewall? also do the servers need virus protection and if so can someone give me the names of some products so i can do some research..

Thanks

Ryan

Keep an eye on your logs.

If the workstations need a firewall/anti-virus would depend on how everything is set up and what kind of users you have .

The server should have a good locked down firewall.

If you monitor the firewall and keep a tight security policy I would see no reason to put an anti-virus on the server unless someone is going to be executing random exe's all over it.

Also you could check out IPcop as a hardware firewall.

Keep an eye on your logs.

If the workstations need a firewall/anti-virus would depend on how everything is set up and what kind of users you have .

The server should have a good locked down firewall.

If you monitor the firewall and keep a tight security policy I would see no reason to put an anti-virus on the server unless someone is going to be executing random exe's all over it.

Also you could check out IPcop as a hardware firewall.

welll basically what im gonna do is put them all on a DC and use GPOs to restrict them as much as possible. i was going to use pfsense since allows multiple WAN links which may come in handy later if my client needs more external bandwidth. for me ad home even my lab machines that are behind my hardware firewall still have a full secuirty suite on them. i fgure more secuirty is better than less/ also i will use squid proxy to controll internet access