Can Tesla Pimp Gaming Performance ??

L337G33K

Hi,

I was wondering if the 250x computing power of the tesla super computer max out gaming performance.I mean can we play crysis warhead or may be gta 4 with full settings and at the resolution of 2560X1600 ?I know there is 3-way sli and quad sli which can do the job but wont the tesla be able to do it better.

The guys at Nvidia haven't mentioned about gaming.I guess its only for 3D rendering and HD video rendering and other power hungry stuff.Wish tesla could be used to play games. :rolleyes:

The tesla card is not for gaming or 3d rendering. It is for HPC needs, remember the tesla does not have any video outputs it is there purely to crunch numbers. It is intended for graphically intensive calculations, think a high scale version of folding at home. To be honest you may be able to recode it using CUDA to work for games, but which games would take advantage of it and I'm not sure it works in the right way to aid that kind of work

You can use it in a gaming system, but it wouldn't be really worth it.

Games will hopefully start using CUDA, so that its easy for multi-gpu systems can be used, whether for more rendering or physics.

If you can get tesla cards to work with other proper graphics card(s) which have an video output then you could see benefits. However it would be better just to get multiple high end gfx cards.

Are you pulling my leg Sparda? :blink:

:angry: You are!

I just checked and Windows XP 64BIT/32BIT has been tested successfully with Tesla.

I did some more checking and apparently the only thing holding this back from being used to run games is the lack of Drivers that recognise it as a Display Adapter.

P.S. When I said Registered, I meant, maybe it would only see a portion of the processing capability, like it can only see a maximum of 32GB total RAM in 64 BIT and 4GB in 32 BIT.

Are you pulling my leg Sparda? :blink:

:angry: You are!

I just checked and Windows XP 64BIT/32BIT has been tested successfully with Tesla.

I did some more checking and apparently the only thing holding this back from being used to run games is the lack of Drivers that recognise it as a Display Adapter.

P.S. When I said Registered, I meant, maybe it would only see a portion of the processing capability, like it can only see a maximum of 32GB total RAM in 64 BIT and 4GB in 32 BIT.

Tesla doesn't have a display output, which is why it doesn't have drivers for being a Display Adapter.

Memory limitation is due to system architecture and the ability to only address a certain amount of memory due to the size of the address. "Power" isn't address, if you can address all of the cores then you can use all of the power, addressing cores isn't like addressing memory and is built into the card not the system architecture. So if the system has drivers for the card and a slot to use it, then you can used all of the power.