PC Build

StarchyPizza

Do you think these parts will go good together( i know they will work but I mean work well).

I am looking to do some media editing and listening/watching(Image Editing, Video Editing, Music, and maybe some Movies).

I am also looking to play games like COD4, Crysis, and maybe far cry.

If the graphics card or anything else isnt good enough let me know which part is better and I'll swap them out.

2wefkmr.jpg

Get a 32Mb Cache HD, for defo.

The Corei7s are still new, and un-necessary, a high end dual or quad will be fine, and will give you a cheaper mobo option.

Go with an ATI 4870X2 if you want to play at 1920x1200, for a smaller resolution you could get by with a GTX280.

For the record, you dont have to use dual or triple channel drr functionality. If you put an odd number of sticks in they will work, just slower.

Check out the Steam Hardware Survey

Well I was going to wait till spring to build because it's my birthday and ill have the money all saved up by then

I was just pricing around to see how much ill need

All those numbers will be useless by then. The recommendations may hold but pricing will be much different.

i7 MB prices will drop with the next chipset so you probably can save 75-100 on that if you can hang on until then.

don't go for core i7 just yet. motherboards are overpriced for the functionality you get

the price of a high end board and the stability of a low cost budget motherboard

the videocard is a low profile card not designed for much gaming so it wont run games like cod4 and crysis at a performance level that you would want. go for at least a gtx 280 or wait for the gtx 295 to come out

if your current system runs fine then stick with it a little longer for better and cheaper motherboards to come out and for amd to come out with their new line as intel has currently made their processors hard to overclock by adding power limiters and a lot of other crap to make them harder to overclock

if intel faces competition from amd on it's corei7 line then they will quickly abandon their habit of stopping the customer from overclocking

don't go for core i7 just yet. motherboards are overpriced for the functionality you get

the price of a high end board and the stability of a low cost budget motherboard

the videocard is a low profile card not designed for much gaming so it wont run games like cod4 and crysis at a performance level that you would want. go for at least a gtx 280 or wait for the gtx 295 to come out

if your current system runs fine then stick with it a little longer for better and cheaper motherboards to come out and for amd to come out with their new line as intel has currently made their processors hard to overclock by adding power limiters and a lot of other crap to make them harder to overclock

if intel faces competition from amd on it's corei7 line then they will quickly abandon their habit of stopping the customer from overclocking

At least a GTX280? Are you high? You do not need a £300+ graphics card as a minimum, its certainly nice to have but unless your a serious hardcore gamer its probally a waste of money. A 9800GT would be a far better option, and the money left aside from this could be spent on more memory which will improve general performance. You should be looking at 6GB of RAM with an i7 machine.

As for the over-clocking issue, locking chips to prevent overclocking came about in the original Pentium era due to people taking a Pentium 100, overclocking it and selling it as a Pentium 120. When the part eventually failed it was Intel who got the bad reputation, not the store who lied to there customer. It was never intended to stop the 1% of users who do overclock.

Finally I doubt that AMD's Shanghi chips will be better than the i7 chips in 1 or 2 way configurations, although AMD have traditionally been better at systems with 4 or more CPU's due to hypertransport (QSI might change this though) and provide hardware VM acceletation at a cheaper price (intel disables hardware vt in the lower chips, which really pisses me off). Even with overclocking AMD's single chip perfomance is still less than Intel.

youre better off going with a faster clocked core2 duo unless youre going to be using alot of apps that will take advantage of a quad core proc. you could probably pick up a nice extreme edition 3ghz+ proc that will sail along just nicely and has good overclockability.