OpenDNS Causes Internet probrlems

Micah C

Hey Hak5 community,

Just thought I would make you guys aware of something and get some input. I setup OpenDNS servers for my network. I just made the DNS IP change on my computer and on no one else. For about two months everything worked great until yesterday. Another computer on my network could only connect to Google.com and no other page. I remembered my DNS server. I added the DNS IP to the other computer on my network, now everything works great. How come everything worked for two months on every computer and for some reason it poops out on me and doesn't work one day?

Any input is appreciated,

Micah C

Hey Hak5 community,

Just thought I would make you guys aware of something and get some input. I setup OpenDNS servers for my network. I just made the DNS IP change on my computer and on no one else. For about two months everything worked great until yesterday. Another computer on my network could only connect to Google.com and no other page. I remembered my DNS server. I added the DNS IP to the other computer on my network, now everything works great. How come everything worked for two months on every computer and for some reason it poops out on me and doesn't work one day?

Any input is appreciated,

Micah C

Were they all setup for OpenDNS? Or just the one pc? Because if you only set it up on one pc and not say, your router, the other pc's were probably using your ISP's DNS server, which may have been having issues. Also, since you are using multiple pcs on a network, I assume you are using a router of some sort. Log in to the router and make sure no one hacked your DNS on the router itself. This is why its always good to have it loaded manually on the PC as well, in case the router gets hit with a drive by dns worm or even a uPnp sploit.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5434

I've used it for years. I agree with the diagnosis that the one guy could confuse a router but if you do it at the router it should be a smooth as butter.

I'm not a fan of relying on my ISP to provide DNS in my best interest.

QFE, even /some/ universities have horrible standards*cough MTSU cough*.

Were they all setup for OpenDNS? Or just the one pc? Because if you only set it up on one pc and not say, your router, the other pc's were probably using your ISP's DNS server, which may have been having issues. Also, since you are using multiple pcs on a network, I assume you are using a router of some sort. Log in to the router and make sure no one hacked your DNS on the router itself. This is why its always good to have it loaded manually on the PC as well, in case the router gets hit with a drive by dns worm or even a uPnp sploit.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5434

The odd thing is that it was only setup on my computer. I didn't change the DNS IP on any other machines. When i went to change them i noticed that they were set to the router DNS. I know i should do it through the router but how come it worked for so long then just went out? I suppose it could be a bug or virus, but it looked like the machines were using the default routers.

What's going on?

Micah C

The odd thing is that it was only setup on my computer. I didn't change the DNS IP on any other machines. When i went to change them i noticed that they were set to the router DNS. I know i should do it through the router but how come it worked for so long then just went out? I suppose it could be a bug or virus, but it looked like the machines were using the default routers.

What's going on?

Micah C

DNS attacks seem to have been on the rise and targeting consumer routers recently. Betting money on this would be silly but possibly.

It was like a year ago my Univ DNS server updated its database, and it don't know what DNS forwarding is. My CNAMEs are accessable from rest of the world but my univ... I set them up like a year ago.

I have personally used OpenDNS for like two and half years, never had an problem...

• 1 month later...

I find OpenDNS to be really slow for me. I mainly notice when browsing to common websites, google, hotmail etc. Even when I go to OpenDNS website, it isn't quick, and my ISP DNS seems to be much faster. I have the Primary and Secondary OpenDNS IPs entered into DD-WRT on a WRT54GL. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Hmm, Can I add a few entries into DD-WRT to do the same thing as the HOSTS file in windows? add a few of the common IP's/Websites to the list on the router?

Thanks