Lock screen on laptop lid close

elitecodex

Hey everyone...I would like to setup my laptop (win xp) to automatically lock itself when I close the lid to my laptop. I know I can set it to ask for a password when coming back from standby, but I want my computer to keep running(background services and such). If I can get it to run a screensaver when I close the lid to my laptop, I can live with that...

If there is no existing solution, I will begin investigating my own solution - Im a programmer so there has to be some windows hook I can tap into... so any suggestions in that area would be great too.

Thanks

Laptops can use the power config to shutdown or put into sleep mode/standby mode when the lid is shut, so I am sure there is a way to do it with another app(or just use the power options). You can also make it so it prompts for a password after coming back from standby under the power options advanced tab.

Laptops can use the power config to shutdown or put into sleep mode/standby mode when the lid is shut, so I am sure there is a way to do it with another app(or just use the power options). You can also make it so it prompts for a password after coming back from standby under the power options advanced tab.

I looked in the power options... which is exactly what I want... just dont want the standby part (I want the computer to still run)... basically do the exact same thing as WinKey+L when I close the lid on my laptop. Suppose I will have to look closely at the MSDN to see whats available.

You could try making a bat job runs a screen saver that has a password which runs whenever you close the lid. Not sure what the mechanism is that monitors/triggers a laptop lid settings, but might be a generic command for all windows based laptops since most laptops have that feature for standby when th elid is closed. Probably a dll you can hook into or send commands to that will do it for you. I ahven't checked, but google would probably find it quickly given the right phrase to look for. like a laptop close lid macro or something.

Ubuntu has a way to play a sound when openign and closing the lid: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-563687.html so how hard coul dit be to change that from plaing a sound to lockign the screen? for windows, there is probably already a program or maybe even a group policy tweak that you can do to accomplish thew same trick.

Im gonna say you would probalby need something that ties into Svchost.exe and runs as a service on the system. This way it monitors the system on boot and waits for the lid open/close signal.

I have google'd and only found two potential options... one is attempting to intercept messages with the power management api (which is no promise and seems like a work-around). The other is writing a kernel mode driver to work with the ACPI... so I guess WinKey+L it is...

*writes another reason to put Linux on my work laptop*

Thanks for your help everyone!

• 5 weeks later...
Sparda, what's the point of calculating the checksum?

I'm not hitting at the "security" of md5, but the fact you did it.

http can be edited and screenshots can be photoshopped. So what's the point?

It's allot of effort to intercept traffic over the Internet. It allows users to verify that what I downloaded is what they downloaded and what I uploaded to the virus scanners is also the same as what I downloaded.

• 7 months later...

i just tried but, couldn't run it minimized

i got it on startup cause that's just the way i want xp to behave

but not even with the shortcut it would run minimized

i also didn't liked the idea of the f2 key, i use a lot of keys near that and i can accidentaly press it :P

i guess i'll stick with the old version, but if you tell me what you used to code it and can get me the source i'll try to make it my way

don't take me wrong, i find it an excelent tool in everyway, i would rather have no hotkey at all, but please don't go trough the martirdom of changing it because of me, if you are up to it just set a option where one can have use a hotkey or not, but you really don't have to :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...