Internet Issue With Fedora 10

sumo2003

I am having a lot of trouble getting Fedora to connect to the Internet, It recognizes all of my hardware and I even checked to make sure that I have the network settings to Automatic DHCP so I don't have to Fuss with doing Static IP configuration setup. I just need help to figure out how to have it connect to the internet without it saying "Connection Disconnected" message. Any clue anybody.

----------------

Now playing: Aoife Ní Fhearraigh - Seacht Sauãilcena Maighdine Muire [seven Joys of the Virgin Mary]

via FoxyTunes

I am having a lot of trouble getting Fedora to connect to the Internet, It recognizes all of my hardware and I even checked to make sure that I have the network settings to Automatic DHCP so I don't have to Fuss with doing Static IP configuration setup. I just need help to figure out how to have it connect to the internet without it saying "Connection Disconnected" message. Any clue anybody.

What is the Fedora box connected to? And is the boxes link wired or wireless?

DHCP should do every thing for you.

That is what I thought it would do, but it still comes up as "Network has been disconnected"

What is the Fedora box connected to? And is the boxes link wired or wireless?

My box is connected directly to the Cable Modem.

My box is connected directly to the Cable Modem.

Pardon the n00b-ish response question, but you are power cycling your modem, right?

Sorry, I do support for a cable company, and that's the first thing that came to mind since I can't see the data from your ISP's side. Well if you happen to be a Cox customer, but I don't think Cox services the area your 'From' line says you're in.

Turn NetworkManager off with:

chkconfig NetworkManager off

but you'll need network on with:

chkconfig network on

I already googled that up and did just that, but am using the GUI portion of Fadora, I am very n00b-ish to linux and their network. I know how the Windows Network works and how to use it, just not linux. I went into services and turned off Network Manager, which also turned off Network which I re-turned on Network and made sure that Network Manager didn't turn back on, because it did that to me once when I re-turned on Network.

Pardon the n00b-ish response question, but you are power cycling your modem, right?

Sorry, I do support for a cable company, and that's the first thing that came to mind since I can't see the data from your ISP's side. Well if you happen to be a Cox customer, but I don't think Cox services the area your 'From' line says you're in.

Yeh, I did power cycle my modem, whenever I change from my Router to being wired into the modem, because of the fact that there is a designated IP Address that is given to my NIC card and the same goes for the Router. I have never heard of COX, but in Michigan we are using the St. Louis based Charter Communications. :lol:

----------------

Now playing: Aoife Ní Fhearraigh - Mo Ghrá Thú

via FoxyTunes

I already googled that up and did just that, but am using the GUI portion of Fadora, I am very n00b-ish to linux and their network. I know how the Windows Network works and how to use it, just not linux. I went into services and turned off Network Manager, which also turned off Network which I re-turned on Network and made sure that Network Manager didn't turn back on, because it did that to me once when I re-turned on Network.

Yeh, I did power cycle my modem, whenever I change from my Router to being wired into the modem, because of the fact that there is a designated IP Address that is given to my NIC card and the same goes for the Router. I have never heard of COX, but in Michigan we are using the St. Louis based Charter Communications. :lol:

you usually have to wait 30 minuets between changing mac addresses on cable modem.

you usually have to wait 30 minuets between changing mac addresses on cable modem.

I have never heard of waiting for thirty minutes, is because of the fact that this is a different type of operating system or something. (srry for asking a stupid question really tired)

----------------

Now playing: William Coulter - Bí, A Íosa, Im Chroí-Se [Jesus Be in My Heart]

via FoxyTunes

Are you sure your router supports DHCP (Or that it's enabled..)

What is your current subnet on your network? because you might not have enough available IPs to be assigned to hosts.

Don't know how Charter's DHCP system works, but when you set up your router did you have to give it a client ID? Most cable ISPs just use the MAC, but some used to use a client ID, or sometimes both MAC and client ID for assigning the IP.

Short of that I'm out of ideas. Mac and FreeBSD I know, linux not so much.

Are you sure your router supports DHCP (Or that it's enabled..)

What is your current subnet on your network? because you might not have enough available IPs to be assigned to hosts.

yeh my router supports DHCP, my current subnet is 255.255.255.0 which is normal.

this is what my ip is setup through the router:

IP Address is 192.168.0.100

Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server is 192.168.0.1

DNS Server is 192.168.0.1

it is confusing for the DNS Server to be the same as the DHCP Server, right now I am using a D-Link WBR-2310 wireless router, I used to have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router and it would give me the Primary DNS Server and Secondary DNS Server where the D-Link gives me one DNS Server that matches my DHCP Server.

Don't know how Charter's DHCP system works, but when you set up your router did you have to give it a client ID? Most cable ISPs just use the MAC, but some used to use a client ID, or sometimes both MAC and client ID for assigning the IP.

Short of that I'm out of ideas. Mac and FreeBSD I know, linux not so much.

Charters DHCP system works like a fucked router acting like a server, whenever you unplug your modem(when swithing from router to just modem and NIC) for power it re-assigns you an IP Address.

----------------

Now playing on Windows Media Player: DJ Sammy - California Dreamin'

it is confusing for the DNS Server to be the same as the DHCP Server, right now I am using a D-Link WBR-2310 wireless router, I used to have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router and it would give me the Primary DNS Server and Secondary DNS Server where the D-Link gives me one DNS Server that matches my DHCP Server.

Charters DHCP system works like a fucked router acting like a server, whenever you unplug your modem(when swithing from router to just modem and NIC) for power it re-assigns you an IP Address.

You're getting the same IP for the DNS and DHCP because the D-Link is either running a DNS proxy or actual DNS caching. I would hope it's a cache, but it could be a proxy for some twisted reason. As for getting a new IP when you switch from one device to another that is totally normal for data over cable, and also means that your ISP most likely doesn't use an DHCP client ID. Your IP is being associated to the MAC of the device that is connected to the modem. If you want to keep the same IP across devices you 'could' MAC spoof so that whatever device that you might connect to the modem has the same MAC, seeing that the NIC would be on the LAN side of the router you should be able to use the same MAC as the WAN port on the router without a problem. I usually recommend against that, as it sucks from a technical support point of view. Just saying it's an option.