Atheros/BackTrack

Max

Hey guys, I have a question.

I am thinking of getting a netbook. I like the EEEPC but then again, there is the Aspire. I am more into the Aspire, but I couldn't find it anywhere if it has an Atheros chipset or can support injection out of the box hardware.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks

Hey guys, I have a question.

I am thinking of getting a netbook. I like the EEEPC but then again, there is the Aspire. I am more into the Aspire, but I couldn't find it anywhere if it has an Atheros chipset or can support injection out of the box hardware.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks

I'm an EEEPc 901 user and personally, I wouldn't switch over and buy an acer. I know acers have the better specs depending on the model but my 901 has some mods I use a lot i.e. touchscreen, internal 3g etc. The wifi that I use is Alfa wireless usb but getting an atheros wifi card and swapping the one in the eeepc already would only cost ~$30. I'm perfectly content with my eee! :)

If the Eee PC you decide to buy uses a Mini PCIe slot for the wifi card (I think they all do, maybe not-- do your homework) then you're good.

I just bought an Eee PC 701SD and the wifi card inside was a realtek. This was not good. Fortunately I have an Eee PC 701 that has the wifi card that works with BackTrack 3 Final. I took that card out and swapped it into the Eee PC 701SD. It works well.

In any case, if the wifi card inside the Eee PC you decide to buy doesn't work with BT3F, then just buy one of these cards and swap it in. I've got another laptop that I bought this Gigabyte card for, and it works well with BT3F. I've tested it in mode monitor, and tested injection. All good.

Now then, there's one thing I should warn you about. The Eee PC 701SD I recently bought only had one antenna inside the chassis. I had to rob the other from my 701. If you run into this problem try one of these (they are sold in packs of One).

If you have further troubles with drivers and such head over to the remote-exploit forums and start here.

I've read on the forums that my instructions for getting the Attansic wired NIC working, works with other models, but you'll have to try for yourself.

The only thing I have left to do on mine is getting the webcam working, but I'm not too concerned with that.

Hope this helps you out. Be well.

If the Eee has USB, wouldn't it just be easier to buy the USB Wifi adapter, than to have to mess with taking it apart. If you are going to buy a card, a USB adapter makes more sense, since you can take it and use it with any pc, not just the Eee pc. Also, if yo have BT3 on a thumbdive, taking both the thumbdrive and a USB wifi card somewhere is as easy as putting them into your pocket. Then you can hack from anywhere there is a pc that boots off USB. ;)

If the Eee has USB, wouldn't it just be easier to buy the USB Wifi adapter, than to have to mess with taking it apart. If you are going to buy a card, a USB adapter makes more sense, since you can take it and use it with any pc, not just the Eee pc. Also, if yo have BT3 on a thumbdive, taking both the thumbdrive and a USB wifi card somewhere is as easy as putting them into your pocket. Then you can hack from anywhere there is a pc that boots off USB. ;)

Yes, this is all true, all good points, but I'd rather have one machine, that I can multi-boot XP/BT3F/Weaknet Assistant/UbuntuEee from one 64GB SSD. And so, that's what I got. I also have several USB wifi cards and thumbdrives, but I really like to work with one compact unit. ;)

Also consider the fact that many wireless tools that come with BT3 really work best with an Atheros chipset, and there are no Atheros USB adapters. That's one of the main reasons you see people digging into their Netbooks to swap out the WiFi. If you're scanning for access points with BT3 though, you can't beat the Alfa awus036h with Kismet.

My EEEPC701 works out of the box with BackTrack 3

and it's supporting injections and the hole cracking procedure..

Atheros chipset.

Running BT3 of a SD card.

Thanks Guys! Now I think I will stick with the EEE....

You won't be dissapointed :) There's also the eeeuser forums which are GREAT for help with any issues and more people that asked questions about each model. I'd check there to clear up any questions you might have too so that you get the model which you'll enjoy the most.

why not just run BT3 in VM?

Because in a VM you can't use the built in wireless. Only built in ethernet and USB wifi cards.

Also consider the fact that many wireless tools that come with BT3 really work best with an Atheros chipset, and there are no Atheros USB adapters. That's one of the main reasons you see people digging into their Netbooks to swap out the WiFi. If you're scanning for access points with BT3 though, you can't beat the Alfa awus036h with Kismet.

yes there are atheros usb adapters, very nice ones too, like the sr71 from ubiquiti, 300mw with mmcx antenna ports=sexy. I belive they have a couple others too, I'm not sure its been a while since ive checked out their new shit. their cards can be a little pricey, i have a one of their srx300 and src300 cards, and theyre pretty kickass.

Yeah? Damn, I've been missing out! That's the main reason I haven't been messing with BT3 in Parallels or VirtualBox. Thanks for the heads up!

Just got me eee which is a 701SD. Just off topic, but where can I get a touch-screen kit for them. That can maybe ship to Canada?

care to share where you ordered it from after reading this post i going to get one and do that touch screen mod :rolleyes:

problem is i cant seem to find one out there says the item is Discontinued every where i look -_-

I think I will try to get one from here:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLDERLESS-4por-USB-Hub-Touch-Screen-Panel-eeepc-Eee-PC_W0QQitemZ260326023805QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Exercise_Accessories?hash=item260326023805&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url]

I didnt order it yet, but what do you think guys? Is this one OK? I like that it has the 4port USB Hub for the can and the touchscreen.

Oké, my wireless card works now because he ca see the local network in range...

but now i have the problem that wpa supplicant doesn't run (it crashes always) and so I can't use any encryption, which I need to get onto my WEP encrypted network, I know it's WEP instead of WPA, but if I want to connect using the WLAN assistant, it tries to connect but it failes... don't know why I filled everything (what their was to fill in) correctly...

Does somebody know how to fix this.. mb Darren who has tested Backtrack on the Eee PC (701).

Pz'

I'm getting the AAO and yes it does have an Atheros chipset (a simple look at the wikipedia page told me that -_- ) . I can't wait for crimbo just so I can use my AAO xD, I have a Skydrive account set up to compensate for the 8Gb SSD :P. I'm getting the AAO but I was originally gonna get an Eee PC 701 but changed my mind after reading hundreds of reviews of the 2 and because the AAO is more powerful. So yeah I recommend the AAO.

• 2 weeks later...
Oké, my wireless card works now because he ca see the local network in range...

but now i have the problem that wpa supplicant doesn't run (it crashes always) and so I can't use any encryption, which I need to get onto my WEP encrypted network, I know it's WEP instead of WPA, but if I want to connect using the WLAN assistant, it tries to connect but it failes... don't know why I filled everything (what their was to fill in) correctly...

Does somebody know how to fix this.. mb Darren who has tested Backtrack on the Eee PC (701).

Pz'

If it's WEP you're not suppose to use the wpa_supplicant......? Or atleast it's just easier to

throw a simple command.

iwconfig [interface] mode managed key [WEP key]