Mail Server

echeco

oh, by looks after it I mean, keeps it relatively secure and prevents it from been used to send spam while watching your email. If you set up your own you have to do this instead.

yeah.. that could be a problem, so i guess it´s a better option to pay a hosted one.

:rolleyes:

Most home ISP's will not let you host your own mailserver simply for the reason of security.

Securing a mail server against open relays and other vulnerabilities is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

The question that needs to be asked is what exactly are you going to be doing with the server?

If it's going to be your main account for something like a website, why doesn't your webhost offer a mailserver?

If you're not using the address for anything website related, is there an issue with trying to use Gmail and their IMAP connection?

Once you answer these questions you'll have a better understanding of what your actual options are.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Most home ISP's will not let you host your own mailserver simply for the reason of security.

Securing a mail server against open relays and other vulnerabilities is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

The question that needs to be asked is what exactly are you going to be doing with the server?

If it's going to be your main account for something like a website, why doesn't your webhost offer a mailserver?

If you're not using the address for anything website related, is there an issue with trying to use Gmail and their IMAP connection?

Once you answer these questions you'll have a better understanding of what your actual options are.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Thanks Matt

:)

I'd recommend you host It yourself,

But whatever gets the job done.

I prefer qmail over postfix or sendmail.

Might aswell get a cheap VPS then,

& If you live in the US you probably have "unlimited" bandwidth so turn It into a remote file backup.

The main problem that I have found with running your own mail server is that many other mail servers will not accept mail unless it is from a white list, which generally is going to cause you problems if you start sending mail and its not getting there.

I'm generally all for running/hacking/playing with services etc, but if you want to run it for anything else like personal, commercial use etc, then just use someone else to do it for you, it also lets you concentrate on the things that you want to do rather than think, "dammit, I have to fix the mail server again!". Which is the part that I am most thankful for.

Mail is also one of those things that is quite sensitive, you've got to be right on top of it, incase you have a problem or someone breaks into your box, getting black listed for being a spammer is not a good start to anything!

I run my own mail server using Zimbra. It works great and I recommend it to anyone with the 'control freak sysadmin' gene. :)

Sure, there's downsides to it, but it gives me much more than a hotmail account would, and it's mine etc etc.