Any suggestions as to whom makes the best Gaming Laptops?

VilleValoV

Alienware: http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/not...ll_default.aspx

They have a new laptop out with SLI and 17" screen which starts at $2000, so you might not want to go for it unless you can raise some more money as there is always extras that you want to get.

but i dont know how long it'll stay that way cos they've been bought over by Dell .....

Alienware: http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/not...ll_default.aspx

They have a new laptop out with SLI and 17" screen which starts at $2000, so you might not want to go for it unless you can raise some more money as there is always extras that you want to get.

but i dont know how long it'll stay that way cos they've been bought over by Dell .....

IMO: Being bought out by Dell will only make them better if anything. Think about it: It's unlikely Dell will re-brand the Alienware laptops and fire all the staff. All it really probably means for alienware is better funding, R&D and maybe a small price drop :)

Dell is not going to rebrand Alienware because the reason why they bought Alienware was for the name and brand in the first place. Dell has had a lot of trouble with enthusiasts not liking them and their systesm, so they bought a company which had the hearts of many enthusiasts.

By Dell buying Alienware you now know that Alienware is never going to go bust because Dell will unfortunatly never go bust and there will always be money around.

By Dell buying Alienware you now know that Alienware is never going to go bust because Dell will unfortunatly never go bust and there will always be money around.

I don't know why everyone dislikes Dell. They used to suck, but their servers and low cost desktop systems are actually really good now. As far as buying large volumes of computers for businesses and schools goes: Dell is the way forward if you ask me :)

Perhaps for buying large amounts of systems then I would probably never use Dell, and even then I would try and go else where. Their servers are quiet good but they still don't offer AMD Opterons in them which are king of the Server CPUs at the moment (they are saying they will at some point though).

I dislike their Desktops because if you upgrade with them and they come and fit some new stuff, take the old stuff away, then that old stuff will end up in someone elses "new" computer. Now i don't have a problem with this because recycling. I have the problem that they charge the same price to the other person for secondhand hardware.

For their laptops, well Dell don't actually make them, a company called Ergo do, and ergo make some very very very nice laptops. But once again I would prefer a AMD chip in my laptop than Intel so it counts Dell out.

I see what you're saying :)

I don't think I would buy a dell as a single desktop machine. I'm pretty picky about the components I use in my desktop machines usualy. A Dell laptop maybe, though.

But as I said before: for computers in a business or school environment, I just can't find a better supplier :roll:

I guess I'm just not an AMD nut. I love AMD processors, but I'm not one of these people who will only buy AMD.

I guess I'm just not an AMD nut. I love AMD processors, but I'm not one of these people who will only buy AMD.
Well I'm a person who will only buy AMD if it poses the right apperance like there is a time when I bought an intel for the fact its much 'smoother' to some people I have my AMD overclocked thats the only reason I use it. other wise intel pentiums are fine with me.

I'm not an AMD nut, but won't buy something that costs more and offers less performace. AMD has had the lead against Intel in all the CPUs so far as well as price so that is why i have bought AMD. I also like supporting the underdog and i like the fact that AMD is based in Germany. I am worried about Intel's Conroe as that does look like bit of a beast (except in encryption oddly).

But as I said before: for computers in a business or school environment, I just can't find a better supplier.

For mass buying Dell does seem to have it wrapped up in a bag, they have offered my school numerous deals on hardware with stupid price tags (like £50 for a blade cabinet filled with specced up blades). In fact we have been playing Dell of against RM recently which has proved very enjoyable. However I would like to give some other companies business, like I said, I like supporting the underdogs.

Widescreen is nice because it gives you more of a cinematic feel, plus it means that you use more of the screen when you are watching vidoes/films in widescreen which is always good.

Your also supposed to get more room than a normal 4:3 ration equivalent monitor.

I suppose it help multitaking as well as you can have Firefox etc. open in 2/3rds of the screen and the in the bit left down the side you can have irc/im open or winamp etc.