Ubuntu Studio help/advice

RogueHart

please dont post google links. posting google links to answer a noob question is an outdated practice.

i just finished getting ubuntu studio installed on my computer. so now i have vista and linux.

its my first time leaving a windows environment outside of school mac's and knoppix. so its a bit of a trip lol.

ive got a few questions and since the hak5 community is the most helpful community ive been a part of i thought this would be the proper place to post.

first and foremost gnome is kind of confusing. while windows taskbar matches the screens resolution regardless of what its set to, the gnome toolbar at the top of my screen doesnt go across the entre thing.

screenshot1ny0.png

and because of this when i maximize a window it only stretches to the length of the bar. both of these bother me quite a bit and limit my productivity. although only slightly limiting it is still limiting lol. although as far as features and overall look i am enjoying gnome much more than explorer

thanks for any help. if i have any more questions ill edit this post.

if your just going to be an ass dont bother posting. im just requesting some advice/help not begging or trying to force anyone to answer.

edit:

im also having trouble finding a program that will allow me to use my webcam. i probably need to find a way to install the drivers.

does anyone know of a good c++ ide?

and im in need of some fonts. i'd like to find a times new roman clone

and "sudo apt-get install" ive been using for certain programs i knew about. but it says there are about 153 packages and i want to see what they are. so can anyone tell me where to look or what to type? im new to bash and its a switch from batch.

edit

okay its no longer just the bar. this is incredibly frustrating. this is fullscreen

screenshotsr7.png

edit

i fixed it. somehow it was seeing 2 screens. i disabled one and it used the other which was my laptop screen. so the bar and maximizing issues are fixed now

edit

id like to have a music player that can play songs from another partition. amarok CAN but i have to manually drag and drop it all from the file browser instead of it being imported from collection

ive got a few questions and since the hak5 community is the most helpful community ive been a part of i thought this would be the proper place to post.

I agree

first and foremost gnome is kind of confusing. while windows taskbar matches the screens resolution regardless of what its set to, the gnome toolbar at the top of my screen doesnt go across the entre thing.

I think all the distros I have tried, i have always used gnome or somehting light. I dont need my computer to give me a seizure while i am minimizing a window. Have you tried Preferences>Screen Resolution? Your resolution may be to low, raising it should extend your tool bar, what you are seeing there may be part of your other workspace, also if you have dual monitors that could be doing it.. I reccomend going to the ubuntu forums and finding a tut on how to dual monitor you graphics card. If you have an ATI or NIVIDIA card you should get ENVYng, it will help you install the proper driver

sudo apt-get install envyng

ubuntu studio has media editors of all kinds. but the built in music player is a tad ummmm welll im used to winamp for all audio and it just feels like a step down. using a video player for music makes it feel too much like windows media player. winamp obviously isnt made for linux so can someone suggest a good free media player i could use?

XMMS. not winamp but from what i read is made to look like winamp. http://www.xmms.org/

flash player wont install in firefox for some reason. i used the ubuntu installer that was available when i installed it. and it says the plugin is installed yet any flash objects still say "click to install missing plugins" any idea whats going on?

Flash player does install, but there are many varents. Here are the instructions for installing flash in Ubuntu. http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-...er-for-firefox/ I auctually think its easier to download the tar from the flash site and follow their directions to make it.

Hope that helped in someway

I think all the distros I have tried, i have always used gnome or somehting light. I dont need my computer to give me a seizure while i am minimizing a window. Have you tried Preferences>Screen Resolution? Your resolution may be to low, raising it should extend your tool bar, what you are seeing there may be part of your other workspace, also if you have dual monitors that could be doing it.. I reccomend going to the ubuntu forums and finding a tut on how to dual monitor you graphics card. If you have an ATI or NIVIDIA card you should get ENVYng, it will help you install the proper driver

sudo apt-get install envyng

thanks for all your help. i had tried setting my resolution and it was already at the 1280x800 that i normally use. im using only 1 moniter for this laptop since it has some battery life and isnt stationary (like my previous laptop) i did however find a way to get the window to expand beyond the toolbar(as you can see in the screenshot. which does make things easier. i would like to fix the toolbar to go across the screen but i live with it as long as my windows maximize properly

ill check out xmms as soon as the site comes back up. thank you lol

edit:

added a webcam issue to first post

The task bar thing i dont know whats happening because mine is full size maybe your option "expand" is not ticked. try this:

Right click the task bar a.k.a panel, click properties

In properties make sure the expand option is ticked then click ok.If that doesnt work then lol i dont know

As for the problem with music and stuff you may want to have a look at Amarok or Rhytmbox i love both of them so i would recomend both and if you need visuals for it then let me know and ill show you how to install it

Ok so the next problem is flash.

Well i think you have to goto Applications>Add/Remove

Once you in there search for flash and Install the following

Macromedia flash plugin

Gsteamer ffmpeg video plugin

Ubuntu Restriced extras

(You may need to set Universe and all others in your repository)

As for your last problem i dont have a webcam so i dont know how to do it lol sorry about that

Anyways hope that helped

The task bar thing i dont know whats happening because mine is full size maybe your option "expand" is not ticked. try this:

Right click the task bar a.k.a panel, click properties

In properties make sure the expand option is ticked then click ok.If that doesnt work then lol i dont know

As for the problem with music and stuff you may want to have a look at Amarok or Rhytmbox i love both of them so i would recomend both and if you need visuals for it then let me know and ill show you how to install it

Ok so the next problem is flash.

Well i think you have to goto Applications>Add/Remove

Once you in there search for flash and Install the following

Macromedia flash plugin

Gsteamer ffmpeg video plugin

Ubuntu Restriced extras

(You may need to set Universe and all others in your repository)

As for your last problem i dont have a webcam so i dont know how to do it lol sorry about that

Anyways hope that helped

expand was checked by default sadly.

actually i need to remove the flash problem lol.

thanks for replying. got amarok with sudo apt-get install amarok

What model laptop do you have? I have a dell 1525 and the webcam plays pretty well with it. When i get home i will see what drivers are installed, may that will help

its a gateway t-series. i was wondering if there was perhaps a program that could autodetect my webcam and install the needed drivers.

fixed the bar issues. see first post

You had a problem with flash too?

I just got over my flash woes. :) it worked soon after reboot.

________

May I wish I had linux earlier (ubuntu) its just amazing, all computers should come stock with this!

I was amazed from the start, ex: I have a wireless mouse that on windows you have to wait for the driver to installed and recognize the device before it will work, on linux (ubuntu) however my mouse worked the very second I plugged it in.

I didn't take long for me to figure out how linux/ubuntu works either, I expected to takes weeks/month/etc learning how to run linux but it was easy. I've got compiz/fusion and all my fav apps. Linux is fast as all hell too.

________

May I wish I had linux earlier (ubuntu) its just amazing, all computers should come stock with this!

I was amazed from the start, ex: I have a wireless mouse that on windows you have to wait for the driver to installed and recognize the device before it will work, on linux (ubuntu) however my mouse worked the very second I plugged it in.

I didn't take long for me to figure out how linux/ubuntu works either, I expected to takes weeks/month/etc learning how to run linux but it was easy. I've got compiz/fusion and all my fav apps. Linux is fast as all hell too.

yeah i finally got over my flash stuff with the sudo command thankfully.

yeah ubuntu studio is pimpin. much better than windows lol. so ill be using it from now on as my main os. vista will just be a gaming platform lol. now i just need a torrent client lol

________

yeah i finally got over my flash stuff with the sudo command thankfully.

yeah ubuntu studio is pimpin. much better than windows lol. so ill be using it from now on as my main os. vista will just be a gaming platform lol. now i just need a torrent client lol

a good C++/C ide would be Code::blocks ;)

also Transmission is a good torrent client

thx much lol. i forgot that code blocks is multi-platform lol

new issue

cant seem to get java to run properly. im needing it so i can still use the uvnc server on my old laptop. i just need it to run in firefox since uvnc can be viewed through java.

why not a vnc client instead of browser based?

ive already got the viewer for windows and the server is setup so i just decided since all i do is use it to control torrents that i could just use the browser based one for ubuntu studio. besides. its always a good idea to have java installed lol. all kinds of stuff that can use it lol

edit

java is seriously pissing me off. and the fact that i dont have permissions to do anything really pisses me off. since im the only user on the computer.

tightvnc has a java vnc server, for viewing it in webpages.

as for your used of sudo, be careful...not everything needs to be root to run.

i know. i just used it to install a few programs.

java is a pain in the ass

i know. i gave up on it. if noone can give me a hand with figuring it out then ill just skip it. unless something comes up where i absolutely have to have java in firefox then im not gonna even bother.

i did get my webcam working finally

If you pm me i can help you set your shit up. Its really not as hard as it sounds... CTRL+C and CTRL+V, if you can do that then your already a pro.

thats the problem lol. i have the files and i know where to put them but due to it blocking my permissions i cant move the files to their proper locations.

That where command line comes in.
Sudo cp

is the root command to copy files and folder.

thanks.

im finally starting to get the hang of it. i dont think ill be asking any more questions.

and to those that have a webcam and want to use it try "sudo apt-get install cheese" it worked with my built in webcam and its a nice gui program with a few nice features.