Current Graphics Card  

64 members have voted

1. 1.

• 32mb
    • 64mb
    • 128mb
    • 256mb
    • 512mb
    • For all you know, you have a 100gb graphics card.

The sizes is the amount of Graphics Memory that they have onboard. Graphics Memory is used to hold all the information that the GPU is going to need very quickly so it doesn't have to request it from the system memory, which is slower. So obviously the more the better. Many people feel that 512MB of Memory on a GFX card is overkill at the moment, but the way I see it is if you get a good price on a 512MB card then go for it because you will be future-proofing yourself for when more games come out requiring it.

Be warned some low end GFX cards used "TurboCache" in nVidias and "HyperMemory" in ATi chips, this means the card comes with a very small amount of memory on the GFX card (typically 64MB) and then uses a protion of your system memory. This really hurts performance because your reducing the amount of memory your CPU can use and as I said earlier it is slower to use that memory.

Hope this helps.

Be warned some low end GFX cards used "TurboCache" in nVidias and "HyperMemory" in ATi chips, this means the card comes with a very small amount of memory on the GFX card (typically 64MB) and then uses a protion of your system memory. This really hurts performance because your reducing the amount of memory your CPU can use and as I said earlier it is slower to use that memory.

Hope this helps.

They do this in actual cards??? I have only ever seen this w/ "on-board" video chipsets.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/turbocache.html

Key features of the TurboCache architecture:

* Patented hardware and software technologies that render directly to system memory

* A TurboCache Manager (TCM), which dynamically allocates memory for maximum system performance

* Intelligent software algorithms that maximize application performance

* Bidirectional PCI Express® bandwidth, in conjunction with TurboCache architecture, which improves graphics price/performance

nVidia won't admit that it saves money and reduces performance but there is their page about it.

You just have to remember if it was so great then all the GFX cards would support it, it don't see any 7900GTX with only 64MB of onboard RAM and 512MB of TurboCache.

I would add though, that the RAM does not equal performance... one card carrying 128MB RAM might perform better that a card carrying 256MB so check out the other specs too if you're going for real-world performance.